The Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices (P3O®) guidance provides advice, supported by discussion and examples, on how to develop a governance structure that helps optimize an organization's investment in change alongside its business as usual work.
The P3O Practitioner course, based on the 2013 guidance, comprises two days of trainer led instruction. It is aimed at members of offices within a P3O model or anyone who needs to understand the terminology and concepts underpinning a P3O. The course will to provide delegates with a comprehensive and applied understanding of the P3O advice and to prepare delegates for the P3O Practitioner Certificate examination.
- Senior managers wishing to gain an understanding of possible structures for supporting business change and the type and level of support that can be provided by Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices
- Senior Managers, Programme and Project Managers who require an understanding of how portfolio and programme offices can add value and enhance the delivery of strategic business change, benefits and capability
- Managers and/or staff who have been tasked to create delivery support structures and mechanisms within their organisation
- Experienced portfolio or programme office managers who need to review, revitalise or tailor current portfolio or programme office provision
- Portfolio office or programme office staff who need to understand the importance of their role
- Staff responsible for programme/project assurance
- Candidates must hold the P30 Foundation Certificate.
- The course fee includes the examination fee for the Practitioner examination. During the course you will asked to provide written permission which enables QA to pass on your pass mark to your employer.
- You will need to provide evidence that you have passed your P3O Foundation examination prior to sitting your P3O Practitioner examination. Please bring your candidate number and/or certificate to your course to show the invigilator.
- If you cannot provide your candidate number and/or certificate, please contact us on 44 (0)1793 696135.
- You will be required to bring along your own copy of the official P3O 2013 manual: Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices. You may have received this on your Foundation course. Please ensure you bring the latest version - ISBN 9780113314225..
- Delegates need to have worked in a project/programme environment and understand the basic principles relating to Programme and Project Management.
- It is recommended that delegates attend this course no later than three months after the Foundation course, and that a minimum of four hours revision of the P3O manual is completed before attending.
Proof of prerequisites MUST be produced on the day of the exam to the trainer.
Acceptable forms of prerequisite confirmation are as follows:
- A copy of the candidates examination certificate
- Confirmed entry in the AXELOS Successful Candidate Register. You will need to provide the full SCR number (registration/candidate number located on your certificate).
Delegates without evidence of the prerequisites will NOT be permitted to sit the exam. For any queries on this please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Proof of identification
If taking an exam, candidates are required to provide Photo ID with a valid signature e.g. driving license, passport or named work ID badges prior to sitting their exam. Failure to produce this ID will result in their exam results being withheld until proof of ID is provided. Please note that if proof is not provided within 40 days, candidate's exam results will be null and void and a re-sit would be required.
Reasonable Adjustments Policy
The exam provider allows additional time for candidates who have a disability or whose native language differs to that of the examination paper. Ful details and how to apply can be found here www.qa.com/axelosexams. At least two weeks' notice will be required for processing this request. Delegates failing to advise QA and provide evidence when requested, may not be allowed the additional support offered via the policy. QA Exam Administration can be contacted by email email@example.com or by phone +44(0)1793 696162.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Develop the business case required to obtain senior management approval for the P3O
- Identify and build the most appropriate P3O model, which will adapt to the organization's needs, taking account of the organization's size and portfolio, programme and project management maturity
- Identify the most appropriate roles required to populate a specified P3O structure
- Plan the implementation of a P3O
- Choose and use appropriate tools and techniques while running the P3O and advising those who shape the portfolio of programmes and projects.
The course will recap the subjects covered in the foundation course, but will be focussed towards the application of P3O in the real world, culminating in the practitioner exam at the end of day 2.
- Review of P3O key areas
- Why Have a P3O?
- Designing a P3O Model
- P3O Roles
- How to Implement or re-energise a P3O
- How to Operate a P3O
Focus on the Practitioner exam
- Understand the practitioner exam format & syllabus
- Practice sample practitioner questions
PeopleCert exams take place remotely via PeopleCert Online Proctoring, and the afternoon of the last day of your course will continue with your learning until approximately 4.00pm. When booking your exam please ensure that it is for a time after the course has concluded and at a time convenient for you. You will be required to download and install ExamShield and conduct a compatibility test prior to sitting the exam.
The exam is a multiple choice exam consisting of 80 marks (4 questions with 20 marks per question) that must be answered in 2 ½ hours. To be successful in this exam the delegate must get 40 or more marks. The exam allows the use of the 2013 version of the P3O manual. Delegates will be informed of their result by the examining body, normally within four weeks of course completion.
P3O® is a [registered] trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
The Swirl logo™ is a trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
New: AXELOS ProPath learning paths
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.