This five-day comprehensive practitioner course with independent APMG exam, updated for 2023, will provide a practical guide to planning, implementing and maintaining compliance with Data Protection & GDPR (EU & UK) Regulations. Data protection law requires, the appointment of a Data Protection Officer (DPO) for some controllers and processors, including those in the public sector. The obligations for this challenging role will require insight into privacy threats, risks, data breach management, secure design and secure by default principles, privacy compliance and the legal spectrum of the DPA18 & the GDPRs.
This course is suitable for data protection officers, data protection practitioners, HR Professionals, compliance officers, auditors, IT & security Professionals.
It will use the ‘WiCompli’ data protection game - based training tool to support the learning objectives.
Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
CPD points can be claimed for NCSC accredited courses at the rate of 1 point per hour of training for NCSC accredited courses (up to a maximum of 15 points).
This Data Protection Foundation & Practitioner course is primarily aimed at DPOs and professionals working with IT, Risk, Security, Governance and Compliance roles across public and private sectors. It is also aimed at Marketing Professionals and Project Managers.
Learn to address new privacy situations by applying acquired knowledge, facts, techniques, and rules learnt from the GDPR & UK GDPR Practitioner course.
- Identify the key differences between the Data Protection Act 1998 and the GDPRs
- Apply the implementation pathway for Data Protection & GDPR compliance
- Data Protection Principles & Individual Rights
- Data Protection Impact Assessments
- Incident Response
- Policy Frameworks
- Privacy by Design / Default
- Information Risk Management
- Understand the role of the data Protection Officer (DPO) and the new obligations
- Develop a plan to address the challenges of developing a privacy programme across your organisation
- Prepare for managing and reacting to a data breach both from a regulator and commercial perspective
- Identify and understand the rights of data subjects, consent, data in the cloud and third parties
- Model the enforcement aspects of the DPA18 & GDPRs to your organisation
- Demonstrate understanding of the data protection principles and individual data subject rights and when and how they apply at an operational level.
- Understand why privacy is important and how it relates to data protection in your business
- Understand the implications of Brexit as it applies to data protection
- Be able to understand the role of the Data Protection Officer, if you need one and how they help your business achieve compliance.
- Learn to solve Data Protection (GDPR) problems and advise on privacy risks by applying acquired knowledge, facts, techniques, and rules learnt.
- Respond in a more responsible, ethical and well-informed manner, to GDPR compliance issues and scenarios.
- Adapt your communication style to being one of a knowledgeable, capable Privacy Professional and or Practitioner.
- Build effective working relationships by being able to articulate and determine GDPR compliance issues, via the logical interpretation and application of the GDPR Articles and Recitals, to real world and hypothetical work/life scenarios.
- Demonstrate good knowledge of the (EU & UK) GDPRs and related legislation.
Data Protection & GDPR & Privacy Legislation
- Module 1: Introduction to data protection & privacy
- Module 2: Data Protection (GDPR) Fundamentals & principles
- Module 3: Data Protection (GDPR) Rights of the data subject
- Module 4: Data Protection (GDPR) Controllers & Processors
- Module 5: Data Protection (GDPR) International Transfers
- Module 6: Data Protection (GDPR) Remedies, liabilities & penalties
- Module 7: Data Protection (GDPR) Supervisory authorities, co-operation, specific situations
- Module 8: Summary of changes
- Module 9: Business Advantages of embracing Data Protection
Information Governance, Risk Management & Security, Assurance, Self-Assessment & Accreditation and Implementation
- Module 10: GDPR after BREXIT & Gap Analysis
- Module 11: Useful Preparation Steps / Compliance Assessment
- Module 12: Data Protection by Design and by Default and DPIAs
- Module 13: Risk Management, Assurance and Appropriate Security
- Module 14: Obligations on Controllers and Processors, incl. Information security, cyber security standards, monitoring, individual rights & incident management
- Module 15: Direct Marketing and Online Profiling
- Module 16: Cloud, Big Data and Transfers to Third Countries (incl. Brexit)
- Module 17: Privacy and Monitoring
- Module 18: Staying Compliant
- Exam Prep: Case Studies & Questions
Independent APMG NCSC Certified Training, Data Protection Foundation & Practitioner Examination. In class candidates and virtual classroom delegates will take a remotely proctored exam to be taken post course.
Candidates will receive individual emails to access their APMG NCSC Certified Training candidate portal, typically available two weeks post exam. If you experience any issues, please contact the APMG technical help desk on 01494 4520450.
Duration: 70 minutes
Questions: 70, multiple choice (4 multiple choice answers only 1 of which is correct)
Pass Mark: 50%
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.