This course is designed for people who are not familiar with computers and want to know more. For instance, if you want a career change, or are returning to work after a break, or just want to understand why and when to use the available functions.
This course will give you the confidence to start effectively and efficiently using a computer, identify and use key components and gain valuable skills to explore further. The course is highly interactive with plenty of hands-on exercises and examines Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 365.
Delegates are not expected to have gained any prior knowledge of PCs before they attend this course. However, it is strongly recommended that they have some keyboard and mouse experience.
Delegates will learn how to
- Get started with a new PC
- Work in a Windows environment
- Manage files with File Explorer
- Understand common Microsoft Office 365 elements
- Work with Word and Excel
- Complete basic tasks in Outlook
Module 1: Getting started
- Identify hardware, software, and operating systems
- Switch on, login and explain possible password constraints
- Identify important keys on the keyboard
- Use and configure the mouse
- Be able to identify different mouse pointers
Module 2: Working in a Windows environment
- Identify the Start menu, Desktop, and taskbar
- Customise the Start menu and taskbar
- Understand common icons and buttons
- Use Minimize, Maximize and Restore Down commands
- Resize application windows
- Arrange and switch between applications
Module 3: Managing files with File Explorer
- Understand the File Explorer interface
- Describe the difference between local, network and Cloud storage
- Navigate through folders
- Create, rename, and delete folders
- Copy and move files between folders and drives
- Work with a USB sticks/drives
- Extract .zip files
Module 4: Common Microsoft 365 elements
- Understand the common screen elements in Windows applications
- Open, save and close files
- Understand the difference between the Save and Save As commands
- Understand the basics of working with documents and workbooks
Module 5: Working with Word and Excel essentials
- Create and format a simple Word document
- Use Word’s proofing tools and Print Preview
- Create a simple Excel spreadsheet
- Use Excel’s AutoSum feature
Module 6: Working with Outlook essentials
- Send an email
- Respond to and forward emails
- Delete unwanted emails
- Create a folder to organise your mail
- Work with attachments
Appendices (time permitting)
- Browsing the internet
- OneDrive essentials
- Simple troubleshooting and options
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.