About this programme
Our Software and Web Development programme delivers high quality on the job training and assessment designed to develop learners into a valued member of your team. Our software and web development track is based on the IT and Telecommunications Professionals Modern and Technical Apprenticeships at SCQF6 and SCQF8
The programme gives learners the qualifications, skills and practical experience to take on a range of software and web development roles.
On successful completion of the programme the following qualifications are gained:
- Modern apprenticeship including SQA diploma for IT and Telecommunication Professionals at SCQF Level 6, plus core skills and vendor qualifications.
- Technical apprenticeship including SQA diploma for IT and Telecommunication Professionals at SCQF Level 8, plus career skills and vendor qualifications.
To ensure your apprentices develop relevant skills for the modern IT workplace, our Software and Web Development embeds knowledge and skills in:
- Investigating and defining customer requirements
- Software design fundamentals
- Object-oriented computer programming
- Event-driven computer programming
- Testing IT and Telecoms systems
- Diagnosing faults in IT and Telecoms systems
- Data modelling
- Web development and software
- Database software
- Soft skills including communications skills and customer care
Leading to empowering roles like:
- Software Developer
- Web Developer
We develop our programmes based on the needs of the IT industry, and training units can be tailored to suit your business requirements.
As part of their programme apprentices will complete:
- 10 – 12 months including up to 5 weeks classroom training in first 6 months, Assessor contact every 5 weeks, rotating between remote and face to face visits to support work based learning and assignments.
- 12 - 14 months’ including up to 2 weeks classroom training in first 6 months, Assessor contact every 5 weeks, rotating between remote and face to face visits to support work based learning and assignments.
- Personal Effectiveness
- Health and Safety in IT and Telecoms
- Interpersonal and Written Communications
- Customer Care for IT and Telecoms Professionals
Level 6 (suggested)
- Investigating and Defining Customer Requirements 2
- Software Design Fundamentals
- Object Oriented Computer Programming 2
- Database Software 3
- Event Driven Computer Programming 2
- Testing IT and Telecoms Systems 2
- Data Modelling 2
- Web Development 2
- Website Software 3
Level 8 (suggested)
- Investigating and Defining Customer Requirements for IT and Telecoms Systems 3
- Technical Advice and Guidance 3
- IT and Telecoms Fault Diagnosis 3
- Technical Advice and Guidance 3
- Customer Care for IT and Telecoms Professionals 3
- Event Driven Computer Programming 3
- Managing Software Development 2
- Testing IT and Telecoms Systems 3
- Web Development 3
For more information download the handout (link in right-hand side panel above).
NOTE: this programme is available in Scotland. Based in England? Click here (Software Development Technician Level 3)
To contact us for more information fill in the form below.
Our Scottish apprenticeship programmes
Our programmes (Scotland)
Frequently asked questions
How do apprenticeships work?
Through a combination of virtual, tutor-led blended learning and workplace assignments supported by our assessor team, you’ll be learning in lots of different ways while continuing to carry out your day-to-day job role for your employer.
Who can do an apprenticeship?
Anyone aged 16 and over, regardless of background, school achievement or specific learning needs, can apply to be an apprentice in Scotland.
Who will support me on my apprenticeship?
You'll have a whole team behind you. We'll help you get the most out of your apprenticeship.
- Workplace support assessors
- Online tutors
- Your line manager
What will happen after I apply?
We’ll get in touch if it looks like you’re a match for the apprenticeship job. First, we’ll call to get to know you better. Tell us what you’re about, what your goals are. We’ll also get your details.
You’ll get a link to upload some important documents – to check you can do the apprenticeship you’ve applied for (proof of right to work in the UK, etc.) Don’t worry, it won’t take long.
When we have these, we’ll call on WhatsApp to check your ID.
Next, you’ll get a link to complete your profile. This bit is important – your profile is your opportunity to tell potential employers a bit about you. Your skills. Your passion. Why you want this apprenticeship.
We’ll keep in touch about the apprenticeship job you applied for. If any others come up that we think you’d like, we’ll let you know. If you’re keen, we’ll help you prep and we’ll set up that interview.
If all goes well… you’ll get the job. Then you just need to start planning for your first day. Hey presto.
If you’re applying for a job with one of our larger employers, you might be invited to an assessment day – or they might have other special steps to take. Don’t worry, we’ll give you all the details.