The Securing Cisco Networks with Snort Rule Writing Best Practices (SSFRules) v2.0 course shows you how to write rules for Snort, an open-source intrusion detection and prevention system. Through a combination of expert-instruction and hands-on practice, this course provides you with the knowledge and skills to develop and test custom rules, standard and advanced rules-writing techniques, how to integrate OpenAppID into rules, rules filtering, rules tuning, and more. The hands-on labs give you practice in creating and testing Snort rules.
To fully benefit from this course, you should have:
- Basic understanding of networking and network protocols
- Basic knowledge of Linux command-line utilities
- Basic knowledge of text editing utilities commonly found in Linux
- Basic knowledge of network security concepts
- Basic knowledge of a Snort-based IDS/IPS system
Delegates will learn how to
After taking this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the Snort rule development process
- Describe the Snort basic rule syntax and usage
- Describe how traffic is processed by Snort
- Describe several advanced rule options used by Snort
- Describe OpenAppID features and functionality
- Describe how to monitor the performance of Snort and how to tune rules
This course will help you:
- Gain an understanding of characteristics of a typical Snort rule development environment
- Gain hands-on practices on creating rules for Snort
- Gain knowledge in Snort rule development, Snort rule language, standard and advanced rule options
- Introduction to Snort Rule Development
- Snort Rule Syntax and Usage
- Traffic Flow Through Snort Rules
- Advanced Rule Options
- OpenAppID Detection
- Tuning Snort
- Connecting to the Lab Environment
- Introducing Snort Rule Development
- Basic Rule Syntax and Usage
- Advanced Rule Options
- Tuning Snort
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.