This course provides an intensive introduction to the NonStop Transaction Management Facility (TMF). You will learn terminology, components, and how NonStop TMF provides database protection. You will participate in lab exercises covering media management, audit and online dumps, volume and file recovery, catalog manipulation, configuration, routine operations, and how to prepare for orderly recovery. This four-day course is 60 percent lecture and 40 percent hands-on labs using HP servers.
NonStop S-series Server Administration I and NonStop S-series Server Administration II
NonStop NS-series Server Administration I and NonStop NS-series Server Administration II
Concepts and Facilities for NonStop Systems
System management experience on NonStop K-series, S-series, or NS-series servers
- Database administrators
- System managers
- System operators
- Technical support analysts
Delegates will learn how to
- Recognize which system and software components are necessary for NonStop TMF to provide both minimum and full protection functions
- Plan, write, and execute a NonStop TMF configuration with and without file recovery
- Choose the appropriate values for the NonStop TMF configuration attributes based upon your particular needs
- Use the appropriate TMFCOM commands to perform routine maintenance on NonStop TMF objects
Benefits to you
- Learn how to use the appropriate TMFCOM commands to perform monitoring and configuration activities and routine maintenance on NonStop TMF objects
- Improve operational efficiencies by gaining valuable hands-on experience running and configuring TMF
- Learn how to recover from accidental or intentional database modification or deletion by enabling your applications to use NonStop TMF software
Module 1 - Introduction to Transaction Management
- Challenges and solutions in maintaining an online database
- Purpose and function of the different database protection strategies
- Protection terms and concepts associated with a database
- Lab: data integrity
Module 2 - NonStop TMF Components
- Major software and system components of NonStop TMF and their functions
- System and software components necessary for NonStop TMF to provide both minimum protection and full protection functions
- Database protection fundamental design of NonStop server hardware and software
Module 3 - NonStop TMF Configuration Planning and Installation
- NonStop TMF configuration examples with and without file recovery
- Choosing appropriate values for the NonStop TMF configuration attributes
- Subsystem and application impact of specific operations
- Lab: utilities for NonStop TMF operations
Module 4 - NonStop TMF Operations Overview
- Routine and corrective NonStop TMF operations and management tasks
- Display information from TMFCOM commands
- Use of other system utilities to perform NonStop TMF proactive tasks
Module 5 - NonStop TMF Catalog Operations
- TMFCOM commands to use and manipulate the NonStop TMF catalog
- Labs: NonStop TMF labeled tape processing; NonStop TMF dumps and file recovery; NonStop TMF dump operations
Module 6 - NonStop TMF Data Volume Operations
- Data volume manipulations
- Online dumps
- Volume recovery
Module 7 - NonStop TMF Audit Trail Operations
- Multivolume audit trails
- Audit trail volume manipulations
- Audit trail files
- Overflow volumes
- Restore volumes
- File recovery
- Labs: NonStop TMF operator messages; NonStop TMF configuration; NonStop TMF data volumes; NonStop TMF audit trail operations
Module 8 - NonStop TMF Transaction Operations
- Local transactions
- Distributed transactions
- Heterogeneous transactions
- Transaction thresholds
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.