This 5 day course delivers a comprehensive introduction into human factors for non-specialists. It provides a practical, engaging and interactive background to key topic areas, as well as to how human and organisational factors (HOF) can be applied within the workplace. Successful candidates will receive the Human Factors Foundation Certificate allowing them to demonstrate the skills that have been gained during the course.
Who should take this course?
- Those working within operating companies - including managers, operators and supervisors (anyone with a responsibility for people, safety and the environment)
- Those receiving university training as a prelude to working within major accident hazard industries (eg. engineering degrees, business degrees, (such as MBA's) as well as recent graduates
Delegates will learn how to
- the meaning of HOF and the scope of the subject
- common approaches to the management of HOF, and appreciate the benefits of applying these approaches in a major accident hazard context
- how HOF techniques can be integrated with other risk management activities
This course is designed to:
- provide a comprehensive practical introduction to human factors
- give non-specialists a basis from which to begin implementing HOF within their work
Module 1: Overview of human and organisational factors
- Introduction to human and organisational factors
- Human and organisational factors in process safety
- Human failure events
- Safety culture
Module 2: Human and organisational factors in risk management
- Human and organisational factors in investigation
- Qualitative human reliability analysis
- Quantitative human reliability analysis
Module 3: Human and organisational factors in work systems
- Procedures and competence management
- Workload and staffing
- Fatigue and shift-work
- Safety critical communications
- Management of human and organisational factors
Module 4: Human and organisational factors in design
- Introduction to HOF in design
- Managing HOF in design
Module 5: Non-technical skills
- Introduction to non-technical skills
- Situation awareness
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.