Did you know...?
This course is part of a collection called 'Building Modern Data Analytics Solutions on AWS', which consists of 4 courses. You have the option to book any of the individual courses separately. If you prefer to attend all 4 courses, you can book the combined course called Building Modern Data Analytics Solutions on AWS.
In this course, you will learn how to build an operational data lake that supports analysis of both structured and unstructured data. You will learn the components and functionality of the services involved in creating a data lake. You will use AWS Lake Formation to build a data lake, AWS Glue to build a data catalog, and Amazon Athena to analyze data. The course lectures and labs further your learning with the exploration of several common data lake architectures.
This course includes presentations, lecture, hands-on labs, and group exercises.
This course is intended for:
- Data platform engineers
- Solutions architects
- IT professionals
We recommend that attendees of this course have:
- Completed the AWS Technical Essentials classroom course
- One year of experience building data analytics pipelines or have completed the Data Analytics
- Fundamentals digital courseBuilding Data Lakes on AWS
Delegates will learn how to
In this course, you will learn to:
- Apply data lake methodologies in planning and designing a data lake
- Articulate the components and services required for building an AWS data lake
- Secure a data lake with appropriate permission
- Ingest, store, and transform data in a data lake
- Query, analyze, and visualize data within a data lake
Module 1: Introduction to data lakes
- Describe the value of data lakes
- Compare data lakes and data warehouses
- Describe the components of a data lake
- Recognize common architectures built on data lakes
Module 2: Data ingestion, cataloging, and preparation
- Describe the relationship between data lake storage and data ingestion
- Describe AWS Glue crawlers and how they are used to create a data catalog
- Identify data formatting, partitioning, and compression for efficient storage and query
- Lab 1: Set up a simple data lake
Module 3: Data processing and analytics
- Recognize how data processing applies to a data lake
- Use AWS Glue to process data within a data lake
- Describe how to use Amazon Athena to analyze data in a data lake
Module 4: Building a data lake with AWS Lake Formation
- Describe the features and benefits of AWS Lake Formation
- Use AWS Lake Formation to create a data lake
- Understand the AWS Lake Formation security model
- Lab 2: Build a data lake using AWS Lake Formation
Module 5: Additional Lake Formation configurations
- Automate AWS Lake Formation using blueprints and workflows
- Apply security and access controls to AWS Lake Formation
- Match records with AWS Lake Formation FindMatches
- Visualize data with Amazon QuickSight
- Lab 3: Automate data lake creation using AWS Lake Formation blueprints
- Lab 4: Data visualization using Amazon QuickSightBuilding Data Lakes on AWS
Module 6: Architecture and course review
- Post course knowledge check
- Architecture review
- Course review
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.