This two-day course provides detailed coverage of virtual LAN (VLAN) operations, Multiple Spanning Tree Protocol (MSTP) and VLAN Spanning Tree Protocol (VSTP), authentication and access control for Layer 2 networks, IP telephony features, class of service (CoS), and monitoring and troubleshooting tools and features supported on the EX Series Ethernet Switches.
Through demonstrations and hands-on labs, students will gain experience in configuring and monitoring the Junos operating system and in monitoring device and protocol operations. This course uses Juniper Networks EX Series Ethernet Switches for the hands-on component, but the lab environment does not preclude the course from being applicable to other Juniper hardware platforms running the Junos operating system. This course is based on the Junos OS Release 12.2R1.8.
This course benefits individuals responsible for configuring and monitoring EX Series switches.
AJEX is an advanced-level course.
Students should have an intermediate-level of networking knowledge and an understanding of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) reference model and the TCP/IP protocol suite. Students should also attend the Introduction to the Junos Operating System (IJOS) course, the Junos Routing Essentials (JRE) course, and the Junos Enterprise Switching (JEX) course prior to attending this class.
Delegates will learn how to
After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
- Implement filter-based VLAN assignments.
- Restrict traffic flow within a VLAN.
- Manage dynamic VLAN registration.
- Tunnel Layer 2 traffic through Ethernet networks.
- Implement multiple spanning-tree instances in a network.
- Implement one or more spanning-tree instances for a VLAN.
- List the benefits of implementing end-user authentication.
- Explain the operations of various access control features.
- Configure and monitor various access control features.
- Describe processing considerations when multiple authentication and access control features are enabled.
- Describe some common IP telephony deployment scenarios.
- Describe features that facilitate IP telephony deployments.
- Configure and monitor features used in IP telephony deployments.
- Explain the purpose and basic operations of CoS.
- Describe CoS features used in Layer 2 networks.
- Configure and monitor CoS in a Layer 2 network .
- Describe a basic troubleshooting method.
- List common issues that disrupt network operations.
- Identify tools used in network troubleshooting.
- Use available tools to resolve network issues.
Chapter 1: Course Introduction
Chapter 2: Advanced Ethernet Switching
- Virtual Local Area Networks
- Automating VLAN Administration
- Tunneling Layer 2 Traffic
- Lab 1: Advanced Ethernet Switching
Chapter 3: Advanced Spanning Tree
- Spanning Tree Review
- Lab 2: Advanced Spanning Tree
Chapter 4: Authentication and Access Control
- · Authentication Overview
- · Access Control Features
- · Overview of Authentication Processing
- · Lab 3: Authentication and Access Control
Chapter 5: Deploying IP Telephony Features
- · Deployment Scenarios
- · IP Telephony Features
- · Case Study: Deploying IP Telephony Features
- · Lab 4: Deploying IP Telephony Features
Chapter 6: Class of Service
- Class of Service Review
- Processing and Feature Overview
- Case Study: Implementing Class of Service
- Lab 5: Class of Service
Chapter 7: Monitoring and Troubleshooting Layer 2 Networks
- Introduction to Monitoring and Troubleshooting
- Monitoring and Troubleshooting Tools
- Case Studies
- Lab 6: Monitoring and Troubleshooting
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.