What does the apprenticeship involve?
The apprenticeship requires a commitment to study, which will include time away from the office. You will be expected to balance work responsibilities and academic studies, but we will support you along the way.
The Cyber Security Apprentice will learn a broad knowledge of core IT disciplines including; Infrastructure (Networks and Wintel), Security, Application support and Service Management.
This varied role will help support the Tideway IT department to protect its colleagues against the dangers of cyber risk. The role is predominantly Cyber focused. However, there will also be an opportunity to gain exposure to other areas of the IT function.
Candidates may be required to undergo UK Government security vetting at SC level
Location of the role:
You will be based at our newly refurbished offices in London Bridge
Main role / Responsibilities:
- Providing administrative assistance to the delivery and creation of the Tideway phishing exercises and Cyber moments
- Responding to Security Operations Centre (SOC) identified alerts, escalating these to the defined incident management structure.
- Providing regular reports to the Cyber Security Manager, also other key participants on various security and networking statistics
- Performing vulnerability scanning and highlighting any concerns or issues raised within the results of the scans
- Supporting the Technical Support specialist to manage and maintain the Tideway Information Systems technical risk register
- Working with the Technical Support specialist to provide support and where appropriate administration or changes to Tideway’s Network infrastructure; Firewall, Access Control, IDS/IPS and Web Security.
- Escalating significant support issues to the service provider aligned with the incident management process.
- Assist the Technical Support specialist whilst working with the relevant back-up provider, ensuring all Tideway environments are protected.
- Supporting teams on technical aspects of the various programmes of work.
- Providing team administration support to the IT team as required
Benefits of the role:
On successful completion of the programme, you will gain the following qualifications:
- Cyber Security Technologist Level 4
Desired qualities, skills and knowledge:
This apprenticeship is an excellent fit if you would like to start your career in the IT sector specialising in Cyber Security, or are already in the IT sector wanting to move into Cyber Security
We always support colleagues to develop their talent, but the following skills would ensure you have the necessary skills for the apprenticeship
- An ability to select relevant detailed and accurate information to aid resolution or development
- A problem solver with the ability to prioritise tasks
- Good attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with potential ability to produce clear process and procedure documentation
- An ability to meet multiple deadlines
- Enjoys problem solving, taking responsibility and making decisions
- Passionate about technology and keen to learn.
- This apprenticeship gives you a great opportunity to develop and enhance your cyber skills, ensuring you have the technical grounding needed to become a skilled security analyst, security architect, or software tester.
- Experience in a delivery or customer facing role
- Knowledge and general understanding of Cyber Security
- Knowledge of security incident event management (SIEM) technologies
Desired qualification requirements:
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs A*-C (4-9) including Maths and English or equivalent qualifications
- A-Level in IT or similar subject
- Have completed your Level 3 studies (A-levels, BTEC Level 3 or Level 3 Apprenticeship) by September 2019
Working week: Monday- Friday, 9.00am- 5.30pm
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.