This course introduces and explains the administration and operation of IBM's Hardware Management Console (HMC). The course teaches configuration, administration, navigation, operation, and recovery techniques for the HMC in a System z environment.<br>Through lectures and hands-on exercises, attendees are taught how to setup and operate the HMC, and will gain problem determination skills, practice HMC operations including IPLs, and understand the recovery capabilities of the System z servers.<br><br>This course is available 'on demand' (minimum 2 students) for public presentations or for one-company, on-site presentations.
HMC Administration & Operation
A sound understanding of the z/OS operations environment, including I/O concepts and terminology, LPAR technology, how a system is IPL'd and configured and how to operate a z/OS system.
- describe how the z Server is laid out as regards hardware
- identify the difference between the LPARS and the CPCs and the operational usage of the various types of channels, logical and physical on current servers
- identify and use the functions of the HMC Console to operate your System z mainframe environment in Classic style and Tree style
- describe the functions provided by the HMC, SE, and understand their differences
- use the various methods to open groups, objects, display status, and perform tasks on these objects using task lists
- identify the different types of groups, Defined and Undefined CPCs, together with CPC Images
- define how each type of group is created and used
- understand the Details panel to understand its status
- resolve exception conditions
- use the hardware messages task
- use the operating system messages task
- create the 3 types of Activation profiles, RESET, IMAGE and LOAD to perform POR, LPAR activation and IPL
- understand how these profiles are used
- create userids to accomodate different levels of authorization
- understand the HMC/SE security
- establish a single object operations session (CPC session)to the SE and understand how to use the SE.
Introduction to the Hardware Management Console (HMC)
The HMC: Common terms; The CPC layout; Model numbers; Blade Server zBX; Server Activation; Channel configuration; HMC styles; Logging onto the HMC; Managing CPCs and LPARs.Using the HMC Console
Using The HMC console; Userids; Settings; Styles; Classic CPC and LPAR; Tree CPC and LPAR; Details panel of CPC; Details panel of a CPC Image (LPAR); Console Tasks (Classic); Console Tasks (Tree); Daily tasks; Recovery Tasks; Service Tasks; Change Management Tasks; CPC Operational Tasks.Activation Profiles
Activation Profile types; Reset Profiles: General & Storage, Dynamic & Options, CP/SAP & Partitions; Image Profiles: General & Processor, Security, Options, Crypto; Load Profile; Load Profile General.Operational Tasks and Messages
Single Object Selection; Locked Objects; Automatically Locking Objects; Toggle Lock; Activate Task; Using the Activate Task for a CPC with a Reset Profile; Checking the Profile assigned; CPC Image Activation using an Image Profile; CPC Image Activation using a LOAD Profile; CPC and CPC Image Activation Success and Failure; CPC Activation using the Reset Profile; LPAR Activation using the Image Profile; IPL'ing a system with a LOAD Profile; Hardware messages; Details of Hardware messages; Logs for Hardware problems; Operating System Messages; Sending Commands to the Operating System; Manual Loads and Manual PORs; Deactivation of CPC and CPC Image using the Deactivate Task; Changing LPAR Weights; Initial weight; Minimum weight; Maximum weight; Initial capping; Monitor Dashboard.Single Object Operations with the CPC
Connectivity to the SE; User Styles; SE activities; Displaying Hardware components; Individual Hardware components; Exceptions.Security
Setting up security; User IDs; Customising User Controls; Password Profiles; Manage User Wizard; Domain Security; Certificate Management; Manage SSH Keys; Manage Directory Server Definitions.
Face-to-face learning in the comfort of our quality nationwide centres, with free refreshments and Wi-Fi.
Find dates and prices
We have 3 courses available across 1 locations on 3 different dates
EastCall us on 01753 898320 to discuss availability in this region.Contact us
LondonCall us on 01753 898320 to discuss availability in this region.Contact us
MidlandsCall us on 01753 898320 to discuss availability in this region.Contact us
NorthCall us on 01753 898320 to discuss availability in this region.Contact us
ScotlandCall us on 01753 898320 to discuss availability in this region.Contact us
South1 Location / 3 coursesView dates
Attend from AnywhereCall us on 01753 898320 to discuss availability in this region.Contact us
All locations1 Location / 3 coursesView dates
Fully accredited to ensure we provide the highest possible standards in learning