This course provides the skills required to plan and implement Data Facility Storage Management Subsystem (DFSMS). A step-by-step implementation strategy, emphasizing coexistence considerations, is reinforced by hands-on labs. In the hands-on labs, students will be creating constructs as well as coding ACS routines. This milestone approach includes managing temporary and permanent data sets. The course also discusses exploitation of functions provided by DFSMS as the installation evolves to the DFSMS environment.
- You should take the following courses or quivalent knowledge may be substituted for these courses.
- An Introduction to Data Storage Subsystems (SS05G) Storage Management Fundamentals (SS06G) or Storage Management
- Fundamentals (SK06G)
- It is recommended that the student have programming experience which will aid in the writing of the ACS routines.
Who should attend?
This is an intermediate course is for personnel responsible for developing and implementing effective storage management techniques using DFSMS.
- Establish a DFSMS configuration to automatically enforce your installation's storage management policies
- Convert service level requirements into appropriate parameters for data class, storage class, management class, and storage groups
- Create and test automatic class selection (ACS) routines
- Convert volumes and move data to system-managed volumes with data facility data set services (DFSMSdss)
- Specify appropriate management class and storage group parameters for DFSMShsm processing of system-managed data sets
- Establish procedures to control, manage, and recover the storage management subsystem with ISMF and operator commands Develop a DFSMS implementation plan
- Unit 1 - Course introduction and DFSMS overview
- Lab 1 - ISMF
- Lab 1 - Review
- Unit 2 - Activating SMS
- Lab 2 - Activating SMS with minimal configuration
- Lab 2 - Review
- Unit 3 - Writing ACS routines
- Unit 4 - Managing temporary data sets
- Lab 3 - Managing temporary data sets
- Lab 3 - Review
- Unit 5 - Exploiting DFSMS
- Unit 6 - Managing permanent data sets
- Lab 4 - Managing permanent data sets
- Lab 4 - Review
- Unit 7 - Using NaviQuest
- Unit 8 - Device preparation and data movement
- Lab 5 - Volume and data set conversion to SMS
- Lab 5 - Review Unit 9 - Controlling DFSMS
- Lab 6 - System operations
- Unit 10 - Additional considerations
Face-to-face learning in the comfort of our quality nationwide centres, with free refreshments and Wi-Fi.
Find dates and prices
Online booking is currently not available for this course, to find out more please call us on 01753 898320 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how we can help.
Fully accredited to ensure we provide the highest possible standards in learning