In this 3-day, instructor-led, entry-level course, you learn about the basic concepts and facilities of IBM CICS Transaction Server V5. After completing this course, you have the prerequisite knowledge for all of the follow-on CICS application and systems programming courses that IBM Training offers.
CICS V5 Fundamentals
You should have:
- A basic knowledge of data processing and an IBM operating system.
- Some programming experience in a high-level language like COBOL or Java is helpful.
Who Should Attend?
This basic course is designed for IT personnel who have little or no CICS experience.
- Describe the role of CICS in a business transaction environment
- Outline the flow of a typical CICS transaction
- Describe the functions that the primary CICS-supplied transactions perform
- Use the CICS master terminal transaction (CEMT) to query and control system resources
- Describe various ways of defining resources in CICS
- Use transactions that CICS supplies to define and manage resources
- Explain how CICS stores and manages resource definitions
- Describe the features of the CICS Explorer
- List the facilities that CICSPlex System Manager provides
- Describe how CICS implements security
- List the recoverable resources of CICS
- Describe CICS transaction backout and forward recovery
- List the types of CICS startup and shutdown
- Describe the facilities that CICS provides for maintaining the integrity of data that is associated with CICS programs
- Describe CICS support for databases and Virtual Storage Access Method (VSAM) files
- Describe the functions of presentation, business, and data access logic
- Define the role and use of the COMMAREAs and CHANNELs in CICS applications
- Show how CICS Basic Mapping Support (BMS) supports the 3270 display
- Describe the syntax of a CICS command
- Explain how to handle exceptions
- Use the transactions that CICS supplies for testing and debugging
- Describe the facilities that are available in CICS for intercommunication
- Course introduction
- Introducing CICS
- CICS-supplied transactions
- Exercise: CICS-supplied transactions
- Defining CICS resources
- Exercise: Defining CICS resources
- Introducing the CICS Explorer
- Exercise: Using the CICS Explorer
- CICSPlex System Manager overview
- CICS security
- Managing data integrity
- Startup and shutdown
- Exercise: Managing CICS resources
- Data access
- Exercise: Managing files and queues
- Designing CICS applications
- Exercise: Reviewing CICS BMS maps
- Writing CICS programs
- Testing and debugging CICS programs
- Exercise: Debugging applications by using CEDF
- CICS intercommunication
- Course summary
Face-to-face learning in the comfort of our quality nationwide centres, with free refreshments and Wi-Fi.
Find dates and prices
Online booking is currently not available for this course, to find out more please call us on 01753 898320 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how we can help.
Fully accredited to ensure we provide the highest possible standards in learning