This 5-day instructor-led course focuses on the advanced administrative tasks for HP Operations Manager on Windows. You will learn how to configure and use advanced features of HP Operations Manager on Windows to manage a heterogeneous IT environment. The course reinforces concepts with extensive hands-on lab exercises. The course labs use OMW version 9.0; however, the course directly applies to customers using version 9.x.
Operations Manager 9.x on Windows Advanced Administration
For best results, students should have working knowledge of, or formal training in, the following:
- Attended and completed the Operations Manager 9.x on Windows Administration Essentials course, or a minimum of 12 months administrative experience on version 8.x or 9.x of the product.
- Fundamentals and administration of a Windows operating system.
- Understanding of the basic elements of ITIL and ITSM.
- Knowledge of network management and network management common protocols, such as TCP, UDP, and IP.
- Experience with Visual Basic or Perl scripting.
See HP Software Education web sites for HP courses that can help meet these prerequisites.
Target group description
This course is intended for anyone tasked with the administration of HP Operations Manager 8.x or 9.x on Windows
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Apply a working knowledge of OMW architecture to a production environment.
- Apply a working knowledge of interactions between OMW and WMI to custom configurations
- Configure automatic responses to system or application problems.
- Configure external nodes, self monitoring, and advanced node settings.
- Configure OMW communication using firewalls.
- Configure an HTTPS proxy and Outbound-only communications.
- Manually create and deploy certificates for secure environments.
- Configure agent based flexibility with flexible management policies.
- Configure server based flexibility using server configurations and flexible management policies.
- Configure an OMW environment using backup servers or server pooling.
- Configure message forwarding to external applications.
- Configure unplanned and schedule outages for the OMW environment.
- Configure a service hierarchy
- Configure auditing and security for the OME environment.
- Configure auto deployment for the OMW server and managed nodes.
Module 1: Introduction - OMW Advanced Administration
- Define OMW architecture
- Identify special node configurations
- Identify communications and certificates
- Learn flexible management
- Define special policy configurations
- Learn about service hierarchies, security, and auditing
Module 2: OMW Architecture
- Name the most important components and processes belonging to OMW
- Describe the data flow for messages, actions, policy deployment, and performance data on a high level
Module 3: OMW and WMI
- Describe the uses of WBEM and WMI
- Define the concepts behind WBEM and WMI
- Describe how WMI is used inside OMW
- Describe how WMI can be used to extend OMW
Module 4: Advanced Node Configuration
- Modify the XPL file and check configuration values
- Identify and modify node configuration of DCE agents
- Set default XPL configuration keys for HTTPS agent installation
- Change the agent in a node from DCE to HTTPS using automatic deployment
- Configure and use External Node objects
- Configure self monitoring
Module 5: Auto Deployment Configuration
- Configure auto deployment for the server and managed nodes
- Configure auto deployment for service types
Module 6: Communications and Firewalls
- Configure OMW with firewalls
- Configure OMW to work with proxies and outbound-only communications
Module 7: Certificate Use and Management
- Use command-line tools to verify certificates for both clients and server
- Create and use an installation key
- Manually install certificates
- Back up and restore certificates
Module 8: Flexible Management Overview
- Synchronizing configurations between multiple management servers
- Exchanging CA certificates between multiple management servers
- Updating trusted certificates available on managed nodes
Module 9: Configuring Agent-Based Flexibility
- Configure responsible managers in flexible management policies.
- Configure time templates and Follow-the-Sun management
Module 10: Configuring Server Flexibility
- Configure message forwarding
- Configure synchronization between OMW Management Servers
Module 11: Enhancing OMW Availability
Configure enhanced availability of OMW by configuring a server pooling solution
Module 12: Forwarding Messages to Applications
Configure a WMI policy to forward messages to an external application
Module 13: Outage Configuration in OMW
Configure OMW to respond correctly to planned and unplanned outages
Module 14: Using the Message Stream Interface
Configure either the server or the agent message stream interface (MSI)
Module 15: Advanced Policy Management
- Troubleshoot various problems associated with messages
- Identify addition non-monitoring policies used in OMW
- Configure local logging to help track messages
Module 16: VBScripting Basics
- Identify four sections about scripting:
- General scripting information
- VBScript basics
- Debugging VBScripts
Module 17: Policy Scripting
- Deploy scripts that are used in policies
- Define policy automatic actions
- Define external scripts that monitor threshold values
- Define multisource policies that use Perl scripts
- Define multisource policies that use VB scripts
Module 18: Service Management Basics
- Explain the relationships within a service hierarchy, such as super-ordinate and subordinate.
- Explain how messages and services map together.
- List the three types of status calculation, and explain status propagation.
Module 19: Building a Service Hierarchy
- Use the service configuration editor to create a service hierarchy in OMW.
- Create calculation and propagation rules.
- Add a dependency to a service.
Module 20: Security and Auditing
Apply auditing to the OMW server
Appendix A: Basics of VBScripting
Create and apply fundamental VBScripts for use within OMW
Appendix B: The OMW Database
- Design and key elements of the OMW database
- Key tools for routine management of the OMW database
- Suggestions for performance and security for the OMW database
This is a QA approved partner course
Face-to-face learning in the comfort of our quality nationwide centres, with free refreshments and Wi-Fi.
Find dates and prices
Online booking is currently not available for this course, to find out more please call us on 01753 898320 or email us at email@example.com to discuss how we can help.
Fully accredited to ensure we provide the highest possible standards in learning