The BTEC Practical LAN Design & Implementation course is a 50/50 per cent mix of theoretical learning and practical hands-on training, which is led by one of our expert instructors.
The course covers six core elements - electronic signals, LAN technologies and devices, cabling topologies, grounding and bonding, network protocols, and practical LAN design.
Topics include encoding techniques, Ethernet and wireless, channel length configuration, cable management, effective documentation, implications of electromagnetic interference, TCP/IP, configuring and implementing a LAN.
- Basic requirements of data transmission
- Encoding techniques & their importance in data communications
LAN Technologies and Devices
- The history & operation of data networks and the devices that make them possible
- Introduction to Ethernet and wireless including restrictions, methods of operation, bandwidth, maximum distances, data speeds & frame structures
- Insight into the most recent copper and optical cabling standards and procedures
- Cable types e.g. Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a
- Working out channel length cable routing, number of cables, separation from other services
- Cabling a building including Floor distributor, Building distributor, Campus distributor
- Cable containment and management for effective operation
- Effective documentation and records
- Working alongside other systems and trades, e.g. electrical
Grounding and Bonding
- Implications of EMI on cabling systems that support high speed data
- Legislation and system performance
- Review of TCP/IP & other common protocols
- Use of IP address format to connect network devices
Practical LAN Design
- Design a cabling infrastructure for a building to support a data network comprising computers, routers/modems, switches etc
- Configure & implement a LAN using TCP/IP protocol
- Design requirements to make the LAN resilient & fault tolerant
- Tools, visual indicators & tips to trouble shoot a LAN
Upon completion successful delegates will receive the BTEC Professional Award in LAN Design & Implementation.