Throughout the course, there will be the opportunity for the delegates to practice the techniques on a real world example. A detailed practical exercise will be completed to reinforce the learning from each section of the training. This practical element will help translate the learning into a real world scenario.
Hazardous Area Classification
Introduction to legislation and standards
- Delegates will be introduced to the statutory requirements for HAC in the UK and internationally.
Properties of flammable materials
- Delegates will learn about the properties of materials and their flammable and combustible characteristics.
Key area classification concepts
- Minimum volumes for the application of HAC
- The definition of the grades of release
- The relationship between the grades of release, ventilation and the resulting zone
- The concepts of blanket and point zones
- The procedures and methodology in carrying out a HAC study.
Techniques of area classification
- Point Source approach - Covering sample points, atmospheric vents, pig launchers and pools of liquids.
- Risk Based approach - How the Risk Level of an installation can be determined. The use of hole sizes in determining the zone 2 extents from secondary releases from pumps, pipework and compressors etc.
- Direct Example approach - Particular attention will be given to storage tanks, road tanker operations and offshore well heads. How Direct Examples can incorporate the Point Source approach
Delegates will be introduced to the fundamental change in EI15 on the effect ventilation has on releases. Its influence on zones will be considered in diluting releases both outdoors and inside enclosures.
Impact of external variables to area classification
Throughout the training course, delegates will be familiarised with the effects of changes to external variables. The delegates will learn how the application of the direct examples and the risk based approach will change depending on the ambient or storage temperature and the resulting change in petroleum class or fluid category.
This is a QA approved partner course
Face-to-face learning in the comfort of our quality nationwide centres, with free refreshments and Wi-Fi.
Find dates and prices
Online booking is currently not available for this course, to find out more please call us on 0113 220 7150 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how we can help.
Fully accredited to ensure we provide the highest possible standards in learning