There’s never been a better time to take on an apprentice. In July 2020 the government announced an incentive scheme to support employers who hire new apprentices between 1 August 2020 and 31 March 2021. The incentive can be used to pay towards the apprentice’s salary, so you will be benefitting from the support of new talent in your team or the reskilling of existing employees, while being incentivised for supporting their employment and development.
What about the existing apprenticeship incentive?
This payment is in addition to the £1,000 employers already receive for hiring an apprentice who is:
- aged 16 to 18 years old;
- under 25 with an education, health and care plan or who has been in the care of their local authority.
Find out more about the apprenticeship levy here.
What is the new government incentive?
What you’ll get with the new incentive:
- Employers who hire a new apprentice between 1 August 2020 and 31 March 2021 will receive a payment of:
- £2,000 for apprentices aged 16 to 24
- £1,500 for apprentices aged 25 and over
- You’ll get the payment in 2 equal instalments. You’ll receive 50% after the apprentice completes 90 days of their apprenticeship, and the remaining 50% after the apprentice completes 365 days. To receive the full payment, the apprenticeship must last for at least one year.
What can I use the payment for?
- The payment is different from apprenticeship levy funds so you can spend it on anything to support your organisation’s costs. For example, on uniforms, your apprentice’s travel, or their salary.
- You do not have to pay it back.
- You can only apply for this payment for new apprentices who started their contract of employment between 1 August 2020 and 31 March 2021.
Your apprenticeship partner
QA is the UK’s leading tech teaching provider and has trained over 10,000 tech apprentices. We work with you to help recruit tech apprentices or help reskill your existing workforce. Our programmes, from level 3 to level 7, help learners develop further and faster, shaping the next generation of technologists, leaders and innovators, and providing your business with the in-demand tech skills you need. Contact us today!
Watch our webinar about the incentive scheme
Watch our free 45-minute webinar to discuss and understand:
- Positive impacts of the incentives to your business;
- Exploring ways in which they can be used to support developing talent strategies within organisations that elect to utilise them;
- Outlining QA's strategies to support these incentives where appropriate to do so; and
- Sharing responses to questions being asked.
Get in touch
Please complete the short form below to find out how we can help your organisation plug skills gaps today.