A detailed hands on examination of the main IP routing protocols found on today's networks. The course uses Cisco routers for the hands on sessions but the practical work focuses on reinforcing the theory rather than concentrating on product specifics.
Definitive IP Routing for Engineers
- Build redundancy into routed networks.
- Plan IP addressing, subnetting, VLSMs and route summarisations.
- Evaluate and choose appropriate routing protocols for particular scenarios.
- Use more than one routing protocol within an AS
- RIP and IGRP
- EIGRP and OSPF
Basics of routing
- What are routers? Reasons for routing, network protocols, routing protocols, routing tables.
PCs, Systems and Routing
- Default gateways, ICMP router discovery, RIP, Dead router detection, HSRP, VRRP.
- Why use static routes? Configuring static routes, default routes.
- Quick review of IP addressing. The need for subnetting, subnet masks, Calculating network numbers.
Routing protocol overview
- Interior vs exterior routing protocols, Distance vector, Link state, Path vector and hybrid routing protocols, Routing protocol metrics, convergence. RIP and its problems.
- How EIGRP works, DUAL, Scaling EIGRP with route summarisation.
- Using VLSMs to provide more efficient address allocation, automatic route summarisation on class boundaries, route summarisation on the bit boundaries.
- Link state protocols, operation. Router types, LSA types, area 0, transit areas, stub areas, TSSAs, NSSAs, design guidelines, Type E1 and E2.
- Multiple routing protocols, routing distance, metrics, redistribution.
- Link state protocol review, Type 1 and Type 2, integrated IS-IS.
- CIDR, Loop free routing, Policy routing.
This is a QA approved partner course
Face-to-face learning in the comfort of our quality nationwide centres, with free refreshments and Wi-Fi.
Find dates and prices
Online booking is currently not available for this course, to find out more please call us on 01753 898320 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how we can help.
Fully accredited to ensure we provide the highest possible standards in learning