This course starts with a grounding in the OLAP terminology and architecture that underpins the use of MDX. The fundamentals of writing MDX code are covered, followed by an introduction to the functions and constructs that are of immediate benefit to new users. The examples used all have relevance to business applications.
Introduction to MDX
It is assumed that delegates attending this course will already have had some exposure to Data Warehousing and OLAP.
Programming experience would also be very beneficial, but is not essential.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- appreciate the power and flexibility of MDX for solving real business problems by releasing knowledge from an OLAP cube
- understand the syntax of MDX and its most common constructs
- navigate the hierarchy of a cube
- use the most common MDX functions and know how to access further functions
- write MDX stand-alone queries for interrogating an OLAP cube
- write MDX expressions (versatile code segments) for a wide variety of purposes
- create new calculated measures within a cube
- What is MDX; MDX's origins and likely future
OLAP terminology and cube architecture
- Dimensions, measures, members and cells; hierarchies and aggregations; levels; tuples and sets; member properties
- Brackets, square brackets, curly brackets; dots and commas
- Using MDX for querying; SELECT, FROM, ON COLUMNS, ON ROWS, WHERE
- The current cell; relative cell referencing; comparing values, comparing values between years, calculating values to date
Navigating the hierarchy
- Functions for navigating a hierarchy: Children, Parent, Descendants, Ancestor, Siblings, Cousin; nesting functions
- The type of problem solved with moving averages; a simple example; a more complex example that behaves intelligently within a hierarchy
- Overview of parent-child dimensions; why they are useful and how they are implemented
More advanced querying
- Named sets; CROSSJOIN; NOT EMPTY; TOPCOUNT; BOTTOMCOUNT; PAGES, SECTIONS and CHAPTERS
This course is authored by QA
Receive classroom training at one of our nationwide training centres, or attend remotely via web access from anywhere.
Find dates and prices
Online booking is currently not available for this course, to find out more please call us on 01753 898320 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how we can help.
Fully accredited to ensure we provide the highest possible standards in learning