VMware Video on Demand offers a powerful alternative to traditional classroom training, delivering modular videos that can be accessed anytime, anywhere, and from any device.
VMware On Demand is a robust, self-paced learning solution delivering modular training combined with hands-on practice labs, giving you a powerful alternative to traditional classroom training.
- Compelling: Interactive modules with labs that build as you progress
- Official e-courseware
- Comprehensive: Rich content equivalent to classroom training that meets certification course requirements, including final assessments. Some courses also include bonus items like exam vouchers*
- Convenient: 30 days to access the content multiple times at your pace
*Exam vouchers only available where VMware include within the VOD bundle. Please contact us to find out if this bundle includes an exam voucher.
In this course, you focus on building skills in configuring and performing common administrator and end-user tasks with VMware vSAN™ 6.7. You gain practical experience with vSAN production operations through the completion of instructor-led activities and hands-on lab exercises.
This course is also available in an Instructor-Led Training (ILT) format. For more information, select this link: VMware vSAN: Production Operations [V6.7].
- ESXi 6.7
- vCenter Server 6.7
- vSAN 6.7
Storage and virtual infrastructure administrators who are responsible for production support and administration of vSAN v6.x
This course has the following prerequisites:
Understanding of concepts presented in the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.x] course
Storage administration experience with block or file storage devices
Completion of the VMware vSAN: Deploy and Manage [v6.x] course or equivalent experience with vSAN is desirable.
The course presumes that a student can perform the following tasks with no assistance or guidance before enrolling:
- Use VMware vSphere® Web Client
- Create and manage VMware vCenter Server® objects, such as data centers, clusters, hosts, and virtual machines
- Create and modify a standard switch
- Connect a VMware ESXi™ host to NAS, iSCSI, or Fibre Channel storage
- Create a VMware vSphere® VMFS datastore
- Use a wizard or a template to create a virtual machine
- Migrate a virtual machine with VMware vSphere® vMotion®
- Migrate a virtual machine with VMware vSphere® Storage vMotion®
If you cannot complete all of these tasks, VMware recommends that you complete the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.x] and VMware vSAN: Deploy and Manage [V6.x] courses before enrolling in VMware vSAN: Production Operations.
- Describe vSAN host operations
- Discuss vSAN networking requirements
- Define the tasks involved in hardware replacement in a vSAN cluster
- Perform vSAN cluster scale-out and scale-up operations
- Describe common vSAN maintenance operations
- Define the tasks required for updating and upgrading vSAN
- Describe vSAN security operations
- Configure a key management server (KMS) cluster
- Configure vSAN storage policies and observe the effects of a cluster-wide change
- Explain vSAN resilience and availability features
- Perform ongoing vSAN management tasks
- Use the vSAN health service to monitor health and performance
1 Course Introduction
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
2 vSAN Host and Hardware Operations
- Recognize the importance of hardware compatibility
- Ensure the compatibility of driver and firmware versioning
- Use tools to automate driver validation and installation
- Apply host hardware settings for optimum performance
- Recognize the benefits of using VMware vSphere® Distributed Switch™
- Compare the benefits of NIC teaming and Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP)
- Plan appropriately for networking configuration changes
- Identify ESXCLI commands and namespace options
- Recognize how to use ESXCLI commands for troubleshooting vSAN software and hardware issues
- Use Ruby vSphere Console (RVC) to get detailed information about the vSAN environment
3 vSAN Data Availability Operations
- Describe vSAN storage policies
- Recognize the impact of a vSAN storage policy change
- Describe and configure the Object Repair Timer advanced option
- Plan disk replacement in a vSAN cluster
- Plan maintenance tasks to avoid vSAN object failures
- Recognize the importance of backing up data in vSAN
- Describe the VMware vSphere® Storage APIs - Data Protection framework
- Recognize the importance of managing snapshot utilization in a vSAN cluster
4 vSAN Cluster Maintenance
- Perform typical vSAN maintenance operations
- Describe vSAN maintenance modes and data evacuation options
- Assess the impact on cluster objects of entering maintenance mode
- Determine the specific data actions required after exiting maintenance mode
- Define the steps to shut down and reboot hosts and vSAN clusters
- Migrate vSAN to a new vCenter Server instance
- Use best practices for boot devices
- Upgrade and update vSAN
- Replace vSAN hardware by using scale-in and scale-out strategies
5 vSAN Security Operations
- Identify differences between VM encryption and vSAN encryption
- Recognize how to perform ongoing operations to maintain data security
- Identify steps in adding an existing encrypted vSAN cluster to a new vCenter Server instance
6 vSAN Monitoring and Performance
- Describe how the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) enables VMware to improve products and services
- Identify the vSAN tools and health checks available for monitoring vSAN health
- Manage alerts, alarms, and notifications related to vSAN in vSphere Client
- Create and configure custom alarms to trigger vSAN health issues
- Describe the vSAN tools and services that monitor vSAN performance
- Use performance views to access metrics for monitoring vSAN clusters, hosts, and virtual machines
- Explain how the writing of data generates I/O traffic and affects vSAN performance
- Use performance metrics to analyze the vSAN environment
Frequently asked questions
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.