VMware Video on Demand offers a powerful alternative to traditional classroom training, delivering modular videos that can be accessed anytime, anywhere, and from any device.
VMware On Demand is a robust, self-paced learning solution delivering modular training combined with hands-on practice labs, giving you a powerful alternative to traditional classroom training.
- Compelling: Interactive modules with labs that build as you progress
- Official e-courseware
- Comprehensive: Rich content equivalent to classroom training that meets certification course requirements, including final assessments. Some courses also include bonus items like exam vouchers*
- Convenient: 30 days to access the content multiple times at your pace
*Exam vouchers only available where VMware include within the VOD bundle. Please contact us to find out if this bundle includes an exam voucher.
In this course, you focus on deploying and managing a software-defined storage solution with VMware vSAN™ 6.7. You learn how vSAN functions as an important component in the VMware software-defined data center. You gain practical experience with vSAN concepts through the completion of hands-on lab exercises.
This course is also available in an Instructor-Led Training (ILT) format. For more information, select this link: VMware vSAN: Deploy and Manage [V6.7].
- ESXi 6.7
- vCenter Server 6.7
- vSAN 6.7
This course requires meeting one of the following prerequisites:
- Storage administration experience on block or file storage devices
- Understanding of concepts presented in the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.x] course
- Experience working at the command line is helpful.
The course material presumes that a student can perform the following tasks with no assistance or guidance before enrolling in this course:
- Use VMware vSphere® Client
- Create and manage VMware vCenter Server® objects, such as data centers, clusters, hosts, and virtual machines
- Create and modify a standard switch
- Create and modify a distributed switch
- Connect a VMware ESXi™ host to NAS, iSCSI, or Fibre Channel storage
- Create a VMware vSphere® VMFS datastore
- Use a wizard or a template to create a virtual machine
- Migrate a virtual machine with VMware vSphere® vMotion®
- Migrate a virtual machine with VMware vSphere® Storage vMotion®
- Describe the vSAN architecture
- Identify vSAN features and use cases
- Configure vSAN networking components
- Configure a vSAN cluster
- Deploy virtual machines on a vSAN datastore
- Configure virtual machine storage policies
- Perform ongoing vSAN management tasks
- Configure vSAN encryption
- Control vSAN resynchronization tasks
- Create and manage nested fault domains
- Use the vSAN health service to monitor health and performance
- Configure a stretched cluster and observe failover scenarios
- Describe vSAN interoperability with VMware vSphere® features and other products
- Plan and design a vSAN cluster
1 Course Introduction
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
- Describe the software-defined data center
2 Introduction to vSAN
- Describe basic vSAN architecture and components
- Describe the differences between file, block, and object storage
- Explain the advantages of object-based storage
- Detail the configuration of a vSAN cluster
- Install and validate the initial vSAN installation and configuration
3 vSAN Configuration
- Apply vSAN design considerations
- Detail the expansion of a vSAN cluster
- Configure vSAN disk groups manually
- Identify physical network configuration requirements
- Describe the configuration of vSAN networking
- Test and validate the vSAN configuration and functionality
- Describe the vSAN architecture and components
- Describe the differences between the vSAN hybrid and all-flash architectures
- Describe the advantages of all-flash architecture
- Describe the space-efficiency features of vSAN
- Describe the different vSAN assessment tools
- Explain vSAN License Details
4 vSAN Policies and Virtual Machines
- Explain how storage policies work with vSAN
- Define and create a virtual machine storage policy
- Apply and modify virtual machine storage policies
- Change virtual machine storage policies dynamically
- Identify virtual machine storage policy compliance status
5 Managing and Operating vSAN
- Explain how to configure encryption in the vSAN cluster
- Explain the management of hardware storage devices
- Identify alarms for vSAN events
- Describe and configure fault domains
- Describe the configuration of the vSAN iSCSI service, iSCSI targets, and LUNS
6 Stretched Clusters and Two-Node Clusters
- Describe the architecture for stretched clusters and two-node clusters
- Create a stretched cluster
- Describe how stretched cluster storage policies affect vSAN objects
- Create and apply a vSAN stretched cluster policy to meet specific needs
- Discuss the behavior of a stretched cluster when various types of failures occur
7 Monitoring and Troubleshooting vSAN
- Discuss hardware failure scenarios
- Describe the process of resynchronization
- Explain the possible reasons for resynchronization
- Describe the use of vSphere Client to detect issues
- Explain the use of the health service to monitor vSAN health
- Explain the use of the performance service to monitor vSAN performance.
- Monitor and test the vSAN environment
- Describe vSAN architecture components and the PNOMA OSI model.
Frequently asked questions
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.