VMware Video on Demand offers a powerful alternative to traditional classroom training, delivering modular videos that can be accessed anytime, anywhere, and from any device.
VMware On Demand is a robust, self-paced learning solution delivering modular training combined with hands-on practice labs, giving you a powerful alternative to traditional classroom training.
- Compelling: Interactive modules with labs that build as you progress
- Official e-courseware
- Comprehensive: Rich content equivalent to classroom training that meets certification course requirements, including final assessments. Some courses also include bonus items like exam vouchers*
- Convenient: 30 days to access the content multiple times at your pace
*Exam vouchers only available where VMware include within the VOD bundle. Please contact us to find out if this bundle includes an exam voucher.
This course, equivalent to 5 days of training, covers advanced capabilities like customizing alerts, views, reports, and dashboards and explains the architecture and different ways of deploying VMware vRealize® operations. This course explains certificates, capacity concepts, and workload optimization with real-world use cases and covers troubleshooting using dashboards and how-to manage compliance and configurations. The course also covers management packs such as those for or in the SDDC Management Health solution, Storage Devices Management Pack, and AWS Management Pack.
In general, this course explains how to use and configure most of the new features and enhancements in vRealize version 8.0.
This course is also available in an Instructor-Led Training (ILT) format. For more information, select this link: VMware vRealize Operations: Install, Configure, Manage [V8].
- VMware vSphere 6.7 U3
- VMware vRealize Operations Manager™ 8.0
- VMware vRealize® Lifecycle Manager™ 8.0
Experienced system administrators, system integrators, and consultants responsible for designing, implementing, and customizing vRealize Operations.
This class requires system administration experience with VMware vSphere® deployments or completion of one of the following courses:
- VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.7]
- VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V6.7]
By the end of the course, you should be able to meet the following objectives:
- Identify features and benefits of VMware vRealize® OperationsTM
- Design, size, and deploy a vRealize Operations cluster
- Identify the types of nodes and their roles in a vRealize Operations cluster
- Recognize how to use vRealize Operations components to build scalability and availability
- Use interface features to assess and troubleshoot operational issues
- Create policies to meet the operational needs of your environment
- Recognize effective ways to optimize performance, capacity, and cost in data centers
- Troubleshoot and manage issues and configurations using alerts and dashboards
- Use Telegraf to monitor operating systems and applications
- Create custom alert definitions, reports, and views
- Create custom dashboards using the dashboard creation canvas
- Configure widgets and widget interactions for dashboards
- Create super metrics
- Set up users and user groups for controlled access to your environment
- Extend the capabilities of vRealize Operations by adding management packs and configuring solutions
- Monitor the health of the vRealize Operations cluster by using self-monitoring dashboards
1 Course Introduction
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
2 User Interface Enhancements
- Describe how to use vRealize Operations to manage the software-defined data center
- Identify features and benefits of vRealize Operations
3 Deploying vRealize Operations
- Design and size a vRealize Operations cluster
- Install a vRealize Operations cluster
- Configure a vRealize Operations cluster for high availability
- Describe different vRealize Operations deployment scenarios
- Describe how to use vRealize Lifecycle Manager to deploy vRealize Operations
4 vRealize Operations Architecture and Certificates
- Describe the functions of the components in a vRealize Operations node
- Identify the types of nodes and their roles in a vRealize Operations cluster
- Recognize how a node’s components interact to achieve scalability and availability
- Identify ways that data is collected and analyzed by vRealize Operations
- Describe vRealize Operations certificates
5 vRealize Operations Concepts and Policies
- Identify the tasks that can be performed in the administration and product user interfaces
- Describe dashboards and their usage
- Use tags to group objects
- Create policies for various types of workloads
- Explain how policy inheritance works
6 Performance Optimization
- Assess the performance of your environment to determine which data centers need optimization
- Define the business and operational intents for a given data center
- Automate the process of optimizing and balancing the workloads in data centers
- Report on the results of optimization efforts
7 Capacity Optimization and Costing
- Define capacity planning terms
- Understand capacity planning models
- Assess the overall capacity of a data center and identify optimization recommendations
- Recognize options for rightsizing virtual machines (VMs)
- Run what-if scenarios for adding workloads to a data center
- Run what-if scenarios to plan the migration of workloads to the public cloud
8 Managing Configurations and Troubleshooting Pillars
- Recognize how to troubleshoot issues by monitoring alerts
- Use step-by-step workflows to troubleshoot different vSphere objects
- Assess your environment’s compliance to standards
- View the configurations of VMware vSphere® objects in your environment
9 Operating System and Application Monitoring
- Recognize how the Service Discovery manager and Telegraf fits into the vRealize Operations OS and app monitoring
- Deploy the Application remote collector
- Monitor the operating system and applications by using Telegraf
10 Custom Alert Definition
- Create symptom definitions
- Create recommendations, actions, and notifications
- Create alert definitions that monitor resource demand in hosts and VMs
11 Custom Views and Reports
- Build and use custom views in your environment
- Create custom reports for presenting data about your environment
12 Custom Dashboards
- Create dashboards that use predefined and custom widgets
- Configure widgets to interact with other widgets and other dashboards
- Configure the Scoreboard widget to use a metric configuration file
- Manage dashboards by grouping dashboards and sharing dashboards with users
13 Super Metrics
- Recognize different types of super metrics
- Create super metrics and associate them with objects
- Enable super metrics in policies
14 User Access Control
- Recognize how users are authorized to access objects
- Determine privilege priorities when a user has multiple privileges
- Import users and user groups from an LDAP source
15 Extending and Managing a vRealize Operations Deployment
- Identify the management packs that are available to your environment
- Install and configure a management pack
- Monitor the health of a vRealize Operations cluster
- Generate a support bundle
- View vRealize Operations logs and audit reports
- Perform vRealize Operations cluster management tasks
Frequently asked questions
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.