VMware Video on Demand offers a powerful alternative to traditional classroom training, delivering modular videos that can be accessed anytime, anywhere, and from any device.
VMware On Demand is a robust, self-paced learning solution delivering modular training combined with hands-on practice labs, giving you a powerful alternative to traditional classroom training.
- Compelling: Interactive modules with labs that build as you progress
- Official e-courseware
- Comprehensive: Rich content equivalent to classroom training that meets certification course requirements, including final assessments. Some courses also include bonus items like exam vouchers*
- Convenient: 30 days to access the content multiple times at your pace
*Exam vouchers only available where VMware include within the VOD bundle. Please contact us to find out if this bundle includes an exam voucher.
This course, equivalent to five days of training, discusses Network Functions Virtualization (NFV), a network architecture concept that specifies how virtualization technologies can be used to virtualize network service functions.
This course also covers interfacing VMware vCloud Director® with other systems using various APIs and the integration and use of VMware vCloud® Availability for vCloud Director®. You will also understand how to manage multisite, cross-VDC (Virtual Data Center) networking for vCloud Director and how to configure Central Point of Management (CPOM) to define a software-defined datacenter (SDDC) for tenant and provider users of vCloud Director. This course also discusses how to monitor various vCloud Director objects using VMware vRealize® Operations™, Tenant vApp, and VMware vRealize® Log Insight™.
- vCloud Director 9.x
- VMware vCloud® Availability for vCloud Director® 3.0
- VMware vSphere® 6.x and later
- NSX 6.x and later
Customers, cloud architects, systems engineers, data center administrators, and cloud administrators with experience in managed services or managing a service provider environment
Completion of the following course is required:
- VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.x] or equivalent knowledge
Completion of the following eLearning courses is recommended:
- VMware vCloud Director: Fundamentals [V8.x]
- VMware vSAN and HCI Fundamentals
- VMware Network Virtualization Fundamentals
- Substantial knowledge of TCP/IP networking is helpful.
By the end of the course, you should be able to meet the following objectives:
- Describe the VMware vCloud® NFV™ architecture
- Describe the vCloud Director architecture as Virtualized Infrastructure Manager (VIM)
- Secure the deployment of multivendor virtual network functions (VNFs) on the vCloud NFV platform
- Manage vCloud Director to support NFV workloads in a secure, multitenant environment
- Configure VMware vSAN™ to enable multiple tiers in provider virtual data centers
- Create and manage vCloud Director organizations and vApps to satisfy business needs
- Create and manage vCloud Director catalogs
- Use advanced services to manage VMware NSX® from vCloud Director
1 Course Introduction
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
2 vCloud NFV Overview
- Define the benefits of vCloud NFV
- Describe a sample vCloud NFV solution
- Describe the vCloud NFV architecture
3 NFV Infrastructure
- Compare physical and virtual infrastructures
- Describe the advantages and components of the NFV infrastructure (NFVI)
- Explain the role of network virtualization in the NFVI
- Compare physical and virtual infrastructures
- Describe the vSAN architecture and the differences between the vSAN hybrid and all-flash architectures
- Explain the purpose of virtual machine storage policies
- Describe network virtualization with NSX
4 Virtualized Infrastructure Manager (VIM)
- Describe the VMware products for the VIM layer
- Explain basic concepts related to vCloud Director
- Describe the relationship between provider VDCs (Virtual Data Centers) and organization VDCs
- Describe how vSAN integrates with vCloud Director
- Create vSAN storage policies
- Describe the components and basic configuration of the vCloud Director architecture
- Create resource pools
5 vCloud Providers
- Describe how compute and storage resources are provided to vCloud Director
- Describe provider VDC requirements and best practices
- Create provider VDCs
- Describe the VNF on-boarding process
6 vCloud Director Organizations
- Describe and create vCloud Director organizations
- Discuss vCloud Director HTML5 UI
- Discuss HTML5-based provider portal
- Discuss tenant portal
- Discuss the use cases of a vCloud Director organization VDC
- Discuss organization VDC allocation models
- Recognize resource allocations for an organization
- Examine the function and requirements of network pools.
- Describe the network types available in vCloud Director (external, organization, and vApp)
- Discuss the organization network types
- Create and manage organization VDC networks
- Add a catalog to an organization
- Populate, share, and publish catalogs
- Manage access to vApps and catalogs
- Modify the configuration of vApps and their virtual machines (VMs)
- Manage organization VDC networking
- Create affinity and anti-affinity rules
7 vCloud Director Security
- Describe role-based access
- Create custom security roles
- Integrate Directory Service with vCloud Director
- Integrate LDAP, SAML, SSL, Kerberos, and OAuth2 with vCloud Director
- Configure SSO
8 vCloud Director Networking
- Describe the use and placement of NSX® EdgeTM services gateways in relation to vCloud Director
- Review routing with the distributed logical router and Edge services gateways in combination with vCloud Director
- Firewall management in vCloud Director with Edge services gateways and the distributed firewall
- Architecture of VMware NSX-T™ (Basic)
- vCloud Director supported features of NSX-T
- Discuss multisite
- Configure Cross VDC networking
9 Resource Management and Monitoring
- Manage provider and organization VDCs
- Manage VMware vCenter Server® instances and VMware ESXi™ hosts
- Manage vSphere datastores
- Manage resource pools at the vSphere level
- Monitor usage information at provider and organization VDCs
- Use the cell management tool
- Manage provider VDC and Org-VDC
- Monitor vCloud Director environments with VMware vRealize® Operations Manager™
- Monitor vCloud Director environments with vRealize Log Insight
- Describe the components for NVFI operations management
- Use VMware vRealize® BusinessTM for cost management
- Review historical virtual machine metrics in vCloud Director
- View vCloud Director logs
10 vCloud Extensibility
- Introduce container service extension
- Explore vCloud Director CLI
- Use Python SDK for vApp deployment
- Discuss Terraform vCloud Director capabilities
- Use VMware vRealize® OrchestratorTM Plug-in for vCloud Director
11 Day 2 Operations
- Identify log locations for vCloud Director
- Navigate through vCloud Director logs
- Capture vCloud Director log bundles
Frequently asked questions
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.