VMware Video on Demand offers a powerful alternative to traditional classroom training, delivering modular videos that can be accessed anytime, anywhere, and from any device.
VMware On Demand is a robust, self-paced learning solution delivering modular training combined with hands-on practice labs, giving you a powerful alternative to traditional classroom training.
- Compelling: Interactive modules with labs that build as you progress
- Official e-courseware
- Comprehensive: Rich content equivalent to classroom training that meets certification course requirements, including final assessments. Some courses also include bonus items like exam vouchers*
- Convenient: 30 days to access the content multiple times at your pace
*Exam vouchers only available where VMware include within the VOD bundle. Please contact us to find out if this bundle includes an exam voucher.
In this two-day equivalent class, you learn to use VMware PowerCLI™ to automate major VMware vSAN™ tasks. You learn the basics of the vSphere Web Services API, which is the central interface through which all VMware automation tasks can be performed. You gain hands-on knowledge about installing and configuring PowerCLI and learn the basic and advanced syntax. You also learn how to automate various tasks, such as reporting, health checks, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of a vSAN cluster by using PowerCLI cmdlets.
- vSAN 6.7
- VMware ESXi™ 6.7
- VMware vCenter Server® 6.7
- PowerCLI 10.x/11
VMware vSAN administrators who want to automate their tasks like reporting, health checking, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting a vSAN cluster by using PowerCLI cmdlets.
Knowledge of VMware vSphere® and vSAN is required. Programming or scripting experience would be helpful.
- Identify the function of an API and the Managed Object Browser (MOB)
- Explain the basics of PowerCLI
- Describe the structure of PowerCLI objects
- Describe how to use PowerCLI cmdlets
- Describe how to write a script
- Explain the concept of loops in PowerCLI
- Perform advanced PowerCLI operations like Get-View
- Describe the fundamentals of vSAN
- Use cmdlets to run a report on vSAN
- Use cmdlets to configure the settings in vSAN
- Use cmdlets to troubleshoot vSAN and describe the syntax
- Describe advanced concepts with the vSAN management API
1 Course Introduction
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
2 vSphere Web Services API
- Identify the function of an API
- Recognize the components of the vSphere Web Services API
- Explain how the vSphere Web Services API is used by automations tools
- Define object-oriented terminology relevant to the vSphere Web Services API
- Use the MOB to explore the vSphere object model
- Invoke methods through the MOB
3 PowerCLI Basics
- Describe features of PowerCLI
- Describe the installation of PowerCLI on different platforms
- Connect PowerCLI to vCenter Server and ESXi hosts
- List common tasks to perform with PowerCLI
- Explain the basics of PowerCLI objects like cmdlets, variables, pipeline, and so on
- Describe the structure of PowerCLI objects like properties, methods, and nested properties
- Describe how to use PowerCLI cmdlets to manipulate the constructs in a vSphere environment
- Describe how to write a script
- Explain the concept of loops to automate repetitive procedures in a script
- Describe the loops with syntax examples including foreach, if-else, while loop, and the switch statement
4 PowerCLI for vSAN
- Explain the cmdlets to run a report on vSAN and describe the syntax
- Explain the cmdlets to configure the settings in vSAN and describe the syntax
- Explain the cmdlets to troubleshoot vSAN and describe the syntax
- Explain the cmdlets to configure iSCSI LUNs on vSAN and describe the syntax
- Describe how to use Get-Vsanview to access the vSAN management API
5 Advanced PowerCLI Concepts
- Advanced PowerCLI for vSAN:
- Get-Vsanview. Explain the advanced PowerCLI usage with the vSAN API
Frequently asked questions
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.