VMware Video on Demand offers a powerful alternative to traditional classroom training, delivering modular videos that can be accessed anytime, anywhere, and from any device.
VMware On Demand is a robust, self-paced learning solution delivering modular training combined with hands-on practice labs, giving you a powerful alternative to traditional classroom training.
- Compelling: Interactive modules with labs that build as you progress
- Official e-courseware
- Comprehensive: Rich content equivalent to classroom training that meets certification course requirements, including final assessments. Some courses also include bonus items like exam vouchers*
- Convenient: 30 days to access the content multiple times at your pace
*Exam vouchers only available where VMware include within the VOD bundle. Please contact us to find out if this bundle includes an exam voucher.
This hands-on course gives you the skills to upgrade from VMware Horizon® 6 to VMware Horizon® 7. It also introduces the new features in VMware Horizon 7 that enable you to deliver virtual desktops and applications through a single virtual desktop infrastructure platform. In addition to performing an upgrade, you will use many of the new features available in VMware Horizon 7 to instantly provision virtual and remote desktops and applications.
- VMware Horizon 7
- Technical IT personnel responsible for the delivery of remote or virtual desktops, applications, and services
Customers attending this course should have attended the VMware Horizon (with View): Install, Configure, Manage course or have equivalent experience. Students must have experience managing a VMware Horizon deployment.
- Identify the versions of VMware Horizon components
- Upgrade View Connection Server to VMware Horizon 7
- Upgrade View Composer to VMware Horizon 7
- Upgrade VMware Horizon® Client™ systems to Horizon Client 4.6
- Upgrade Horizon Agent to Horizon Agent 7
- Describe the new features in VMware Horizon 7
- Configure and manage automated pools of instant clones
- Use VMware User Environment Manager™ to manage user personalization and application configurations
- Describe how to deploy profile management
- Use VMware App Volumes™ to provision and manage applications
- Troubleshoot upgrade issues
- Review course goals
- Review course objectives
- Review the course outline
- Find additional resources after this course
Evolution of VMware Horizon
- Recognize the new features and benefits of VMware Horizon 7
- Identify the major function of each VMware Horizon 7 component
- Compare the remote display protocols that are available in VMware Horizon
Upgrading to VMware Horizon 7
- Outline the steps to upgrade to VMware Horizon 7
- Describe how to upgrade View Connection Server, View Composer, Horizon Client, and Horizon Agent
- Describe the licensing for VMware Horizon 7
- Identify the new features in VMware vSphere® 6.5
Creating and Managing Instant-Clone Desktop Pools
- Describe instant clones
- Identify the advantages of instant clones
- Distinguish View Composer clones from instant clones
- Identify the requirements of instant clones
- Describe the types of instant-clone virtual machines
- Explain how folders are used to delegate pool administration
- Outline the steps to set up an automated pool that uses instant clones
- Describe instant-clone limitations in VMware Horizon 7
- Describe the creation of instant clones
- Set up an automated pool of instant clones
Managing VMware Horizon Security
- Compare tunnels and direct connections for client access to desktops
- Compare the benefits of using either Horizon Security Server or VMware Unified Access Gateway™ in the DMZ
- Identify the tunnel endpoints when the security gateway is not used
- Explain a direct connection
- List the advantages of direct connections
Profile Management Using User Environment Manager
- Identify the use cases and benefits of using User Environment Manager
- Preparing infrastructure for User Environment Manager
- Outline the steps to install and configure User Environment Manager components
- Use User Environment Manager Management Console and Application Profiler to manage user personalization and application configurations
Creating RDS Desktop and Application Pools
- Explain the difference between a Remote Desktop Services (RDS) desktop pool and an automated pool
- Describe how a user can access a single application by using the RDS application pool
- Describe the relationship between an RDS host, a farm, and an application pool
- Create an RDS desktop pool and an application pool
- Explain how View Composer linked-clone technology can automate the build-out of RDS server farms
- Describe the load-balancing options for RDS hosts
Using App Volumes to Provision and Manage Applications
- Explain how App Volumes works
- Identify the features and benefits of App Volumes
- Identify the interface elements of App Volumes
- Install and configure App Volumes
Troubleshooting an Upgrade
- Describe Horizon Help Desk Tool
- Describe tools that can be used to help when an upgrade fails
- Describe common failures that can occur during an upgrade
- Identify the log locations for each VMware Horizon component
- Describe how to upload logs to VMware Support
Frequently asked questions
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.