90-day access to virtual lab environment
Evasion Techniques and Breaching Defences (PEN-300) is an advanced penetration testing course. It builds on the knowledge and techniques taught in Penetration Testing with Kali Linux (PWK), teaching students to perform advanced penetration tests against mature organizations with an established security function.
As a general rule, it will not specifically deal with the act of evading a blue team but rather focus on bypassing security mechanisms that are designed to block attacks. This course is one of the replacements for the Cracking the Perimeter (CTP) course – retired October 15, 2020.
The Offensive Security Experienced Penetration Tester certification (OSEP) is an advanced penetration testing cert. We recommend starting with PWK and earning the OSCP penetration testing certification first. Once students have completed the PEN-300 course material and practiced their skills in the labs, they’re ready to take the certification exam.
The OSEP exam has a 48-hour time limit and consists of a hands-on penetration test in our isolated VPN network. Students will receive the exam and connectivity instructions for an isolated network for which they have no prior knowledge or exposure. The network will simulate a corporate network in which they must attempt to compromise targets. This exam is included and proctored.
Evasion Techniques and Breaching Defences is an advanced course designed for OSCP-level penetration testers who want to develop their skills against hardened systems.
We strongly suggest that students taking PEN-300 have either taken PWK and passed the OSCP certification, or have equivalent knowledge and skills in the following areas:
- Working familiarity with Kali Linux and Linux command line
- Solid ability in enumerating targets to identify vulnerabilities
- Basic scripting abilities in Bash, Python, and PowerShell
- Identifying and exploiting vulnerabilities like SQL injection, file inclusion, and local privilege escalation
- Foundational understanding of Active Directory and knowledge of basic AD attacks
- Familiarity with C# programming is a plus
- Bypass defences
- Perform advanced attacks while avoiding detection
- Compromise systems configured with security in mind
- Those who complete the course and pass the 48-hour exam earn the Offensive Security Experienced Penetration Tester (OSEP) certification
- Preparation for more advanced field work
- Knowledge of breaching network perimeter defences through client-side attacks, evading antivirus and allow-listing technologies
- How to customise advanced attacks and chain them together
This course is the next step for penetration testers who have completed the OSCP. Topics covered include:
- Operating System and Programming Theory
- Client Side Code Execution With Office
- Client Side Code Execution With Jscript
- Process Injection and Migration
- Introduction to Antivirus Evasion
- Advanced Antivirus Evasion
- Application Whitelisting
- Bypassing Network Filters
- inux Post-Exploitation
- Kiosk Breakouts
- Windows Credentials
- Windows Lateral Movement
- Linux Lateral Movement
- Microsoft SQL Attacks
- Active Directory Exploitation
- Combining the Pieces
- Trying Harder: The Labs
Supporting your self-paced learning
- 19+ hours of video
- 700-page PDF course guide
- Active student forums
- Access to virtual lab environment for 60 days
- Register at least 10 days prior to desired start date
- Establish connection to the virtual lab
- Progress through course materials and practice your skills
- Schedule certification exam within 120 days of course completion
- Successfully complete 48-hour exam and earn your OSEP
Cyber Security learning paths
Want to boost your career in cyber security? Click on the roles below to see QA's learning pathways, specially designed to give you the skills to succeed.
Frequently asked questions
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.