In this three-day, hands-on training course, you explore the new features and enhancements in VMware vCenter Server® 7 and VMware ESXi™ 7. Real-world use-case deployment scenarios, hands-on lab exercises, and lectures teach you the skills that you need to effectively implement and configure VMware vSphere® 7.
This course is recommended for customers who want to deploy vSphere 7 in their existing vSphere environment.
- ESXi 7
- vCenter Server 7
System architects, system administrators, IT managers, VMware partners, and individuals responsible for implementing and managing vSphere architectures
In order to facilitate your VMware e-courseware provision QA will share your name and email address (that which we have registered for you on our business systems) with VMware. VMware will then send you directly the details of your e-courseware access no less than 48 hours before your course is due to take place. VMware will not use these details for any other purpose than provisioning you with your e-courseware.
Please note that these details are held by VMware outside of the EU. If you have an existing VMware MyLearn account it is imperative that you notify QA of the email address you have registered to this account. Should you have any questions or concerns about this please contact your QA account manager.
Those delegates who are attending via either virtual or extended classroom will be required to provide either dual monitors or single monitor plus a tablet device.
This course requires completion of one the following courses or equivalent knowledge and administration experience with ESXi and vCenter Server:
- VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage
- VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale
- VMware vSphere: Fast Track
- VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting
The course material presumes that you can perform the following tasks with no assistance or guidance before enrolling in this course:
- Install and configure ESXi
- Install vCenter Server
- Create vCenter Server objects, such as data centers and folders
- Create and manage vCenter Server roles and permissions
- Create and modify a standard switch
- Create and modify a distributed switch
- Connect an ESXi host to NAS, iSCSI, or Fibre Channel storage
- Create a VMFS datastore
- Use a content library template to create a virtual machine
- Modify a virtual machine’s hardware
- Migrate a virtual machine with VMware vSphere® vMotion® and VMware vSphere® Storage vMotion®
- Configure and manage a vSphere DRS cluster
- Configure and manage a VMware vSphere® High Availability cluster
- Use VMware vSphere® Update Manager™ to apply patches and perform upgrades to ESXi hosts and VMs
If you cannot complete these tasks, VMware recommends that you instead take the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V7] course.
Please note: In order to provision you with your courseware and lab access for this course QA must share several items of basic personal information with our partner (usually your full name and email address). For more information on this please visit our QA Partner data sharing page. If you have any questions or concerns please contact your QA account manager.
Delegates will learn how to
By the end of the course, you should be able to meet the following objectives:
- List and describe the importance of key features and enhancements in vSphere 6.7 update releases and vSphere 7
- Determine the proper upgrade path for a vCenter Server instance and upgrade VMware vCenter® Server Appliance™ to version 7
- Migrate a Windows vCenter Server system to vCenter Server Appliance 7
- Manage and update VM templates located in content libraries
- Use Identity Federation to configure vCenter Server to use Microsoft ADFS
- Use the VMware vSphere® Client™ to manage certificates
- Describe vCenter Server, VMware ESXi™, storage, network, virtual machine, and security enhancements in vSphere 7
- Use VMware vSphere® Trust Authority™ to secure the infrastructure for encrypted VMs
- Demonstrate the Quickstart feature of the ESXi cluster
- Recognize improvements to VMware vSphere® Distributed Resource Scheduler™
- Use vSphere Lifecycle Manager to manage vSphere deployments, updates, and configurations
- Discuss the purpose and capabilities of VMware vSphere® with Kubernetes and how it fits into the VMware Tanzu™ portfolio
1 Course Introduction
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
2 Installation and Upgrade
- Describe the new vCenter Server Appliance deployment model
- Upgrade a vCenter Server Appliance instance to vCenter Server Appliance 7
- Migrate a Windows vCenter Server instance to vCenter Server Appliance 7
- Describe the enhancements to vCenter Server Appliance
3 Management Enhancements
- Identify the scaling and performance improvements for vCenter Server Appliance
- Describe the support provided for dynamic DNS
- Recognize how to change the IP address or FQDN of vCenter Server
- Describe prefix-based MAC address allocation
- Perform a VM template in-place update in Content Library
- Describe identity federation and recognize its use cases
- Configure identity federation
- Manage certificates using the vSphere Client
- Identify VMware NSX-T™ logical switches and their properties in the vSphere Client
- Explain the benefits of using VMware Skyline™ to proactively monitor your environment
4 ESXi Enhancements
- Upgrade an ESXi host to version 7
- List the enhancements introduced with ESXi 7
- Describe new device support for ESXi hosts
- Describe support for Precision Time Protocol
5 VM Enhancements
- Discuss the new functionality, virtual devices, and VM maximums supported by VM compatibility version 17
- Describe the enhancements to guest customization
- Perform a vSphere vMotion migration of VMs with remote devices
6 Storage Enhancements
- Describe the enhancements to NVMe support
- Describe the enhancements to VMware Pluggable Storage Architecture
- Describe the purpose of the High-Performance Plug-in
- Describe the support for iSER
- Recognize the changes made to the ESXi system storage layout
- Describe the support for CAB deployment of WSFC in vSphere 6.7 and later
- List the enhancements made to vSAN
7 Security Enhancements
- Describe the enhancements to the VM encryption feature
- Describe the enhancements to cloning, migration, and encryption operations
- Describe the benefits and use cases of vSphere Trust Authority
- Configure vSphere Trust Authority
8 Cluster Enhancements
- Demonstrate the Quickstart feature of the ESXi cluster
- Recognize improvements to vSphere DRS
- Describe use cases for scalable shares
9 vSphere Lifecycle Management
- Use vCenter Server Update Planner to run vCenter Server upgrade prechecks
- Compare vSphere Lifecycle Manager to vSphere Update Manager
- Manage and update ESXi hosts using vSphere Lifecycle Manager
10 Introduction to vSphere with Kubernetes
- Differentiate between containers and virtual machines
- Identify the parts of a container system
- Recognize the basic architecture of Kubernetes
- Describe a basic Kubernetes workflow
- Describe the purpose of vSphere with Kubernetes and how it fits into the VMware Tanzu portfolio
- Explain the vSphere with Kubernetes supervisor cluster
- Describe the Tanzu Kubernetes grid service
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.