This five-day, hands-on training course provides you with the advanced knowledge, skills, and abilities to achieve competence in troubleshooting the VMware vSphere® 7.x environment. This workshop increases your skill and competence in using the command-line interface, VMware vSphere® Client™, log files, and other tools to analyze and solve problems.
This course requires completion of one of the following prerequisites:
- VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V6.x] or [V7]
- VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.x] or [V7]
- VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V6.x] or [V7]
- Equivalent knowledge and administration experience with ESXi and vCenter Server
Experience in working with a command-line interface is highly recommended.
Delegates will learn how to
- Introduce troubleshooting principles and procedures
- Use command-line interfaces, log files, and the vSphere Client to diagnose and resolve problems in the vSphere environment
- Explain the purpose of key vSphere log files
- Identify networking problems based on reported symptoms, validate, and troubleshoot the reported problem, identify the root cause, and implement the appropriate resolution
- Analyze storage failure scenarios using a logical troubleshooting methodology, identify the root cause, and apply the appropriate resolution to resolve the problem
- Troubleshoot vSphere cluster failure scenarios and analyze possible causes
- Diagnose common VMware vSphere® High Availability problems and provide solutions Identify and validate VMware ESXi™ host and VMware vCenter Server® problems, analyze failure scenarios, and select the correct resolution
- Troubleshoot virtual machine problems, including migration problems, snapshot problems, and connection problems
- Troubleshoot performance problems with vSphere components
1 Course Introduction
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
2 Introduction to Troubleshooting
- Define the scope of troubleshooting
- Use a structured approach to solve configuration and operational problems
- Apply a troubleshooting methodology to logically diagnose faults and improve troubleshooting efficiency
3 Troubleshooting Tools
- Use command-line tools (such as ESXCLI) to identify and troubleshoot vSphere problems
- Identify important vSphere log files and interpret the log file contents
4 Troubleshooting Virtual Networking
- Analyze and resolve standard switch and distributed switch problems
- Analyze virtual machine connectivity problems and fix them
- Examine common management network connectivity problems and restore configurations
5 Troubleshooting Storage
- Troubleshoot and resolve storage (iSCSI, NFS, and VMware vSphere® VMFS) connectivity and configuration problems
- Analyze and resolve common VM snapshot problems
- Identify and resolve multipathing-related problems, including common causes of permanent device loss (PDL) and all paths down (APD) event problems
6 Troubleshooting vSphere Clusters
- Identify and recover from problems related to vSphere HA
- Analyze and resolve VMware vSphere® vMotion® configuration and operational problems
- Analyze and resolve common VMware vSphere® Distributed Resource Scheduler™ problems
7 Troubleshooting Virtual Machines
- Identify, analyze, and solve virtual machine snapshot problems
- Troubleshoot virtual machine power-on problems
- Identify possible causes and troubleshoot virtual machine connection state problems
- Diagnose and recover from VMware Tools™ installation failures
8 Troubleshooting vCenter Server and ESXi
- Analyze and fix problems with vCenter Server services
- Diagnose and troubleshoot vCenter Server database problems
- Examine ESXi host and vCenter Server failure scenarios and resolve the problems
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.