This two-day training course is for operators and administrators who create and manage virtual machines. This course provides you with an understanding of VMware virtual machine features in VMware vSphere® 6.7. By combining lecture and hands-on labs, you gain the skills required to work effectively with VMware virtual machines.
Technical professionals with system administration skills and operators responsible for managing virtual machines using VMware ESXi™ and vCenter Server.
- ESXi 6.7
- vCenter Server 6.7
In order to facilitate your VMware e-courseware provision QA will share your name and email address (that which we have registered for you on our business systems) with VMware. VMware will then send you directly the details of your e-courseware access no less than 48 hours before your course is due to take place. VMware will not use these details for any other purpose than provisioning you with your e-courseware.
Please note that these details are held by VMware outside of the EU. If you have an existing VMware MyLearn account it is imperative that you notify QA of the email address you have registered to this account. Should you have any questions or concerns about this please contact your QA account manager.
Those delegates who are attending via either virtual or extended classroom will be required to provide either dual monitors or single monitor plus a tablet device.
- System administration experience on Microsoft, Linux, and Solaris
- Understanding of basic network and storage concepts
Please note: In order to provision you with your courseware and lab access for this course QA must share several items of basic personal information with our partner (usually your full name and email address). For more information on this please visit our QA Partner data sharing page. If you have any questions or concerns please contact your QA account manager.
Delegates will learn how to
- Describe virtualization, virtual machines, and vSphere components
- Describe the concepts of server, network, storage, and desktop virtualization
- Deploy, configure, clone, and manage virtual machines
- Use VMware vCenter Server® to monitor virtual machine resource usage
- Use VMware vSphere® vMotion® and VMware vSphere® Storage vMotion® to migrate virtual machines
- Use VMware vSphere® Distributed Resource Scheduler™ and VMware vSphere® High Availability to optimize the performance of your vSphere virtual environment
1 Course Introduction
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
2 Introduction to vSphere and the Software-Defined Data Center
- Describe how vSphere fits into the software-defined data center and the cloud infrastructure
- Explain how vSphere interacts with CPUs, memory, networks, and storage
- Use vSphere Client to access and manage your vCenter Server system and ESXi host
- Compare virtual machine hardware version 14 to other versions
- Identify the virtual network adapters, and describe the enhanced VMXNET3
- Compare the types of virtual disk provisioning
3 Creating Virtual Machines
- Create, provision, and remove a virtual machine
- Explain the importance of VMware Tools™
- Describe how to import a virtual appliance OVF template
4 vCenter Server
- Describe the vCenter Server architecture
- Discuss how ESXi hosts communicate with vCenter Server
- Use vSphere Client to manage the vCenter Server inventory
- Add data center and organizational objects to vCenter Server
- Add hosts to vCenter Server
- Discuss how to create custom inventory tags for inventory objects
- Monitor VMware vCenter® Server Appliance™
- Monitor vCenter Server Appliance for service and disk space usage
- Use vSphere alarms for resource exhaustion and service failures
5 Configuring and Managing Virtual Networks
- Describe the virtual switch connection types
- Configure and view standard switch configurations, such as virtual machine port group, VMkernel port, VLAN, and security features
- List the features comparison of standard and distributed switches
6 Virtual Storage
- Describe vSphere storage technologies and datastores
7 Virtual Machine Management
- Use templates and cloning to deploy new virtual machines
- Enable guest operating system customization by vCenter Server
- Upgrade a virtual machine’s hardware
- Perform an instant clone of a VM
- Describe virtual machine settings and options
- Add a hot-pluggable device
- Dynamically increase the size of a virtual disk
- Add a raw device mapping (RDM) to a virtual machine
- Perform a vSphere vMotion migration
- Perform a vSphere Storage vMotion migration
8 Resource Management and Monitoring
- Use the performance-tuning methodology and resource monitoring tools
- Use performance charts to view and improve performance
- Monitor the key factors that can affect the virtual machine’s performance: CPU, memory, disk, and network bandwidth use
- Create alarms with condition-based triggers
- Create alarms with event-based triggers
- View and acknowledge triggered alarms
9 vSphere HA
- Describe the options that you can configure to make your vSphere environment highly available
- Discuss the response of vSphere HA when an ESXi host, a virtual machine, or an application fails
10 vSphere DRS
- Describe the functions of a vSphere DRS cluster
- Create a vSphere DRS cluster
- View information about a vSphere DRS cluster
- Remove a host from a vSphere DRS cluster
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.