This three-day training course equips you with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to design a VMware vSphere® 7 virtual infrastructure. You follow a proven approach to design a virtualization solution that ensures availability, manageability, performance, recoverability, and security, and that uses VMware best practices. This course discusses the benefits and risks of available design alternatives and provides information to support making sound design decisions.
Given a case study, you practice your design skills by working with peers on a design project.
VMware ESXi™ 7
VMware vCenter Server® 7
Experienced system integrators and consultants responsible for designing and deploying vSphere environment
In order to facilitate your VMware e-courseware provision QA will share your name and email address (that which we have registered for you on our business systems) with VMware. VMware will then send you directly the details of your e-courseware access no less than 48 hours before your course is due to take place. VMware will not use these details for any other purpose than provisioning you with your e-courseware.
Please note that these details are held by VMware outside of the EU. If you have an existing VMware MyLearn account it is imperative that you notify QA of the email address you have registered to this account. Should you have any questions or concerns about this please contact your QA account manager.
Those delegates who are attending via either virtual or extended classroom will be required to provide either dual monitors or single monitor plus a tablet device.
This course requires completion of the following prerequisites:
- VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V7]
- VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V7]
Please note: In order to provision you with your courseware and lab access for this course QA must share several items of basic personal information with our partner (usually your full name and email address). For more information on this please visit our QA Partner data sharing page. If you have any questions or concerns please contact your QA account manager.
Delegates will learn how to
By the end of the course, you should be able to meet the following objectives:
- Identify the business objectives for the vSphere environment
- Identify business requirements, constraints, assumptions, and risks for all layers in the vSphere environment
- Apply a framework to a design
- Analyze design choices and best-practice recommendations
- Create a design that ensures availability, manageability, performance, recoverability, and security
- Design the core management infrastructure for an enterprise
- Design the virtual data center for an enterprise
- Design the compute infrastructure for an enterprise
- Design the storage and networking infrastructures for an enterprise
- Design virtual machines to run applications in a vSphere infrastructure
- Design security, manageability, and recoverability features for an enterprise
1 Course Introduction
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
2 Infrastructure Assessment
- Follow a proven process to design a virtualization solution
- Define customer business objectives
- Gather and analyze business and application requirements
- Document design requirements, constraints, assumptions, and risks
- Use a systematic method to evaluate and document design decisions
- Create a conceptual design
3 Core Management Infrastructure
- Determine the number of VMware vCenter® Server ApplianceTM instances to include in a design
- Choose the appropriate single sign-on identity source
- Choose the time synchronization method
- Choose methods to collect log files and VMware ESXi™ core dumps
- Design a vCenter Server deployment topology that is appropriate for the size and requirements of the data center
4 Virtual Data Center Infrastructure
- Calculate total compute capacity requirements for a virtual data center
- Create a virtual data center cluster design that meets business and workload requirements
- Evaluate in the virtual data center the use of several management services, such as VMware vSphere® High Availability and VMware vSphere® Distributed Resource Scheduler™
- Evaluate the use of resource pools in the virtual data center design
5 Compute Infrastructure
- Create a compute infrastructure design that includes the appropriate ESXi boot, installation, and configuration options
- Choose the ESXi host hardware for the compute infrastructure
6 Storage Infrastructure
- Calculate storage capacity and performance requirements for a design
- Evaluate the use of different storage platforms and storage management solutions
- Design a storage platform infrastructure and storage management architecture that meets the needs of the vSphere environment
7 Network Infrastructure
- Evaluate the use of different network component and network management solutions
- Design a network component architecture that includes information about network segmentation and virtual switch types
- Design a network management architecture that meets the needs of the vSphere environment
8 Virtual Machine Design
- Make virtual machine design decisions, including decisions about resources
- Design virtual machines that meet the needs of the applications in the vSphere environment and follow VMware best practices
9 Infrastructure Security
- Make security design decisions for various layers in the vSphere environment
- Design a security strategy that meets the needs of the vSphere environment and follows VMware best practices
10 Infrastructure Manageability
- Make infrastructure manageability design decisions that adhere to business requirements
- Design an infrastructure manageability strategy that meets the needs of the vSphere environment and follows VMware best practices
11 Infrastructure Recoverability
- Make infrastructure recoverability design decisions that adhere to business requirements
- Design an infrastructure recoverability strategy that meets the needs of the vSphere environment and follows VMware best practices
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.