In this three-day course, you learn about managing and operating VMware vSAN™ 7. This course focuses on building the required skills for common Day-2 vSAN administrator tasks such as, vSAN node management, cluster maintenance, security operations and advanced vSAN cluster operations. You also gain practical experience through the completion of instructor-led activities and hands-on lab exercises.
Completion of the following courses is required:
- VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [v7] or equivalent knowledge
- VMware vSAN: Plan and Deploy [v7]
Delegates will learn how to
- Define the tasks involved in vSAN node management
- Updating and upgrading vSAN using VMware vSphere Lifecycle Manager™
- Explain vSAN resilience and data availability features
- Reconfigure vSAN storage policies and observe the cluster-wide impact
- Perform vSAN cluster scale-out and scale-up operations
- Describe common vSAN cluster maintenance operations
- Control vSAN resync operations
- Manage two-node cluster and stretched cluster advance operations
- Configure vSAN storage efficiency and reclamation features
- Use VMware Skyline™ Health to monitor cluster health, performance, and storage capacity
- Describe vSAN security operations
- Configure vSAN Direct for cloud native applications
- Configure remote vSAN datastore and vSAN native file services
• Introductions and course logistics
• Course objectives
• Recognize the importance of hardware compatibility
• Ensure the compatibility of driver and firmware versioning
• Use tools to automate driver validation and installation
• Apply host hardware settings for optimum performance
• Use vSphere Lifecycle Manager to perform upgrades
3 vSAN Resilience and Data Availability Operations
• Describe vSAN storage policies
• Recognize the impact of a vSAN storage policy change
• Describe and configure the Object Repair Timer advanced option
• Plan disk replacement in a vSAN cluster
• Plan maintenance tasks to avoid vSAN object failures
• Recognize the importance of managing snapshot utilization in a vSAN cluster
• Configure the vSAN fault domains
4 vSAN Cluster Maintenance
• Perform typical vSAN maintenance operations
• Describe vSAN maintenance modes and data evacuation options
• Assess the impact on cluster objects of entering maintenance mode
• Determine the specific data actions required after exiting maintenance mode
• Define the steps to shut down and reboot hosts and vSAN clusters
• Use best practices for boot devices
• Replace vSAN nodes
5 HCI Mesh Using Remote vSAN
• Discuss the use cases for Remote vSAN
• Understand the high-level architecture
• Describe remote datastore operations
• Discuss the network requirement
• Interoperability between Remote vSAN and VMware vSphere-High Availability
6 Managing Advanced vSAN Cluster Operations
• Describe the architecture for stretched clusters and two-node clusters
• Understand the importance of Witness Node
• Describe how stretched cluster storage policies affect vSAN objects
• Create and apply a vSAN stretched cluster policy to meet specific needs
• Discuss stretched cluster failure scenarios and responses
7 Managing vSAN Storage Space Efficiency Operations
• Discuss Deduplication and Compression techniques
• Understand Deduplication and Compression overhead
• Discuss Compression only mode
• Configure Erasure Coding
• Configure swap object Thin Provisioning
• Discuss Reclaiming Storage Space with SCSI UNMAP
• Configure TRIM/UNMAP
8 vSAN Security Operations
• Identify differences between VM encryption and vSAN encryption
• Perform ongoing operations to maintain data security
• Describe the workflow of Data-in Transit encryption
• Identify the steps involved in replacing Key Management Server
9 vSAN Cluster Monitoring
• Describe how the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) enables VMware to improve products and services
• Use vSphere Skyline Health for monitoring vSAN Cluster Health
• Manage alerts, alarms, and notifications related to vSAN in vSphere Client
• Create and configure custom alarms to trigger vSAN health issues
• Use IO Insight metrics for monitoring vSAN performance
• Analyse vsantop performance metrics
• Use vSAN Proactive Test to detect and diagnose cluster issues
10 vSAN Direct
• Discuss the use cases for vSAN Direct
• Understand the overall architecture of vSAN Direct
• Describe the workflow of vSAN Direct datastore creation
• Explore how vSAN Direct works with storage policy tagging
11 Native vSAN File Service
• Discuss the use cases for vSAN file service
• Understand the high-level architecture of vSAN file service
• Discuss the authentication model
• Configure file shares
• Monitor file share health and capacity utilization
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.