This two-day, hands-on training course gives experienced VMware vSphere® administrators the knowledge to install, configure, and manage VMware Site Recovery Manager™ 8.2. This course also shows you how to write and test disaster recovery plans that use Site Recovery Manager.
- VMware Site Recovery Manager [V8.2]
Intended Audience: vSphere administrators, architects, system engineers, and systems integrators who are responsible for the deployment or management of Site Recovery Manager
This class requires completion of one of the following courses:
- VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.x]
- VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V6.x]
- VMware vSphere: What’s New [V5.5 to V6.x]
- VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop [V6.x]
Delegates will learn how to
By the end of the course, you should be able to meet the following objectives:
- Summarize the components of Site Recovery Manager architecture
- Deploy and configure the Site Recovery Manager appliance
- Describe the principal disaster recovery topologies that are used with Site Recovery Manager
- Configure inventory and resource mappings
- Describe the storage replication options that are used with Site Recovery Manager
- Configure Site Recovery Manager to leverage array-based replication
- Describe VMware vSphere® Replication™ functionality
- Describe the vSphere Replication architecture
- Deploy and configure vSphere Replication for use with Site Recovery Manager
- Build Site Recovery Manager protection groups based on vSphere Replication
- Build, edit, execute, test, and remove a recovery plan
- Perform a planned migration
- Perform reprotect and failback using Site Recovery Manager and vSphere Replication
1 Course Introduction
- Outline the necessary information to effectively undertake this course
- Identify resources for additional information
2 Overview and Architecture
- Discuss Site Recovery Manager architecture
- Examine disaster recovery options with Site Recovery Manager
- Describe Site Recovery Manager integration with VMware vSphere® ClientTM
- Discuss Site Recovery Manager features
- Analyze Site Recovery Manager storage policies and integration options
- Discuss how Site Recovery Manager supports several disaster recovery topologies
- Identify use cases for Site Recovery Manager across various scenarios
- Describe how VMware Site Recovery™ for VMware Cloud™ on AWS integrates with Site Recovery Manager.
3 Deploy & Configure Site Recovery Manager
- Identify the requirements to deploy Site Recovery Manager
- Discuss the benefits of the Site Recovery Manager appliance
- Explore vSphere deployment models
- Deploy the Site Recovery Manager appliance
- Navigate the Site Recovery Manager configuration user interface
- Describe the process to register Site Recovery Manager with VMware vCenter Server®
- Configure site pairing
- Identify how to perform updates to the Site Recovery Manager appliance
4 Configuring Inventory Mappings
- Outline the importance of inventory mappings
- Examine configuration options for inventory mappings
- Outline the importance of placeholders
5 Using Array-based Replication
- Describe array-based replication
- Discuss the role of the Storage Replication Adapter (SRA)
- Explore the relationship between devices, consistency groups and datastore groups
- Configure array pairs
6 vSphere Replication
- Explore vSphere Replication architecture
- Examine vSphere Replication functionality
- Formulate use cases for vSphere Replication
- Deploy a vSphere Replication appliance
- Configure vSphere Replication appliance settings
- Configure a vSphere Replication appliance connection
- Deploy a vSphere Replication server
- Register a vSphere Replication server
7 Replicating Virtual Machines with vSphere Replication
- Configure vSphere Replication for virtual machines
- Explain the importance of datastore mappings
- Describe vSphere Replication recovery point objective scheduling
- Describe the vSphere Replication disk transfer protocol
8 Building Protection Groups
- Define protection group functionality
- Examine the differences between array-based protection groups, protection groups based on vSphere Replication, and storage profile protection groups
- Create a protection group
- Discuss protection group settings
- Remove protection from a virtual machine
- Create a storage profile protection group
9 Building Recovery Plans
- Discuss recovery plan concepts
- List recovery plan steps
- Discuss network planning
- Discuss customization options in recovery planning
- Outline how to implement a recovery plan
- Investigate recovery plan options
10 Testing and Running a Recovery Plan
- Discuss use cases for Site Recovery Manager
- Describe planned migration
- Identify Site Recovery Manager workflows
- Discuss the importance of VMware vSphere® VMFS resignaturing
- Examine Site Recovery Manager integration with various vSphere technologies
- Outline how to conduct a recovery plan test
- Perform recovery plan test execution
- Identify the effects on the storage layer during recovery steps
- Explain a recovery plan execution in planned migration or disaster recovery mode
- Understand storage layer changes for plan execution types
- Identify the recovery steps for each execution type
- Describe how to reprotect a data center
- Examine failback steps
11 Monitoring and Troubleshooting
- Discuss Site Recovery Manager alarms
- Explore Site Recovery Manager history reports
- Configuring advanced Site Recovery Manager settings
- Describe how to modify logging levels
- Explain how to collect log bundles
- Identify key log locations
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.