This five-day, hands-on training course provides you with the advanced knowledge, skills, and tools to achieve competency in operating and troubleshooting the VMware NSX-T™ Data Center environment. In this course, you are introduced to workflows of various networking and security constructs along with several operational and troubleshooting tools that help managing and troubleshooting your NSX-T Data Center. In addition, you are presented with various types of technical problems, which you will identify, analyze, and solve through a systematic process.
Before taking this course, you should have completed the VMware NSX-T Data Center: Install, Configure, Manage [V2.4] course.
You should also have the following understanding or knowledge:
- Good understanding of TCP/IP services and protocols
Knowledge and working experience of computer networking, including:
- Switching and routing technologies (L2-L3)
- Network and application delivery services (L4-L7)
- Knowledge and working experience of VMware vSphere® environments and KVM-based environments
The VMware Certified Professional – Network Virtualization (2019) certification is recommended.
Delegates will learn how to
- Establish and apply a structured troubleshooting approach and methodology
- Explain the NSX-T Data Center infrastructure components and the communications between them
- Identify, analyze, and troubleshoot problems related to the NSX-T Data Center management, control, and data planes
- Identify, analyze, and troubleshoot problems related to the NSX-T Data Center installation and upgrade
- Identify, analyze, and troubleshoot problems related to the NSX-T Data Center logical switching, logical routing, and load balancer services
- Identify, analyze, and troubleshoot network security problems related to the NSX-T Data Center Distributed firewall and Gateway firewall.
- Identify the components and packet flows involved in the NSX-T Data Center Datapath and troubleshoot various problems that could occur in the Datapath
- List the native tools available in NSX-T Data Center to identify and troubleshoot the problems related to NSX-T Data Center environment.
1 Course Introduction
- Introductions and course logistics
- Overview of modules and course objectives
- Resources and references
- Learning paths and certifications
2 NSX-T Data Center Architecture
- Review of Virtual Cloud Network Framework
- Recap of NSX-T Data Center architecture and components
3 Approach to Troubleshooting
- Develop a structured approach to troubleshooting
- Differentiate between symptoms and root causes
- Identify and isolate problems residing in various areas
- Apply an appropriate methodology and procedure to troubleshooting
4 Troubleshooting the NSX Management Cluster
- Describe the NSX Management cluster architecture, components, and communication channels.
- Identify the workflows involved in configuring the NSX Management cluster.
- Validate and troubleshoot the NSX Management Cluster formation
5 Troubleshooting Infrastructure Preparation
- Explain and troubleshoot ESXiTM Transport Node preparation issues.
- Explain and troubleshoot KVM Transport Node preparation issues.
- Explain and troubleshoot NSX Edge Transport Node preparation issues.
6 Troubleshooting Logical Switching
- Understand the architecture of Logical Switching
- List the modules and processes involved in configuring Logical Switching
- Explain the importance of N-VDS in Transport Nodes
- Explain the GENEVE protocol and GENEVE header format
- Review the architecture and workflows involved in configuring OVS
- Identify and troubleshoot common Logical Switching issues.
7 Troubleshooting Logical Routing
- Review the architecture of Logical Routing and NSX Edge nodes
- Explain the workflows involved in the configuration of Tier-0 and Tier-1 Gateways.
- Explain the HA modes and logical router placements.
- Identify and troubleshoot common Logical Routing issues.
8 Troubleshooting Load Balancing
- Review of Load Balancer architecture and components
- Identify and troubleshoot common Load Balancing issues.
9 Troubleshooting Security
- Review the architecture of Distributed Firewall
- Explain the workflows involved in configuring Distributed Firewall
- Review the architecture of Gateway Firewall
- Explain the workflows involved in configuring Gateway Firewall
- Identify and troubleshoot common Distributed Firewall and Gateway Firewall issues.
10 NSX-T Data Center Operations and Tools
- Review and perform the backup and restore of the NSX-T Data Center environment
- Explain and validate the native troubleshooting tools (dashboards, traceflow, port connection tool, port mirroring) involved in troubleshooting the NSX-T Data Center environment
- Configure syslog, IPFIX, and log collections for the NSX-T Data Center environment
- Validate and review the APIs methods available to configure the NSX-T Data Center environment
11 NSX-T Data Center Upgrade
- Identify the proper sequence of steps to upgrade NSX-T Data Center
- Describe the necessary pre-upgrade and port-upgrade checks
- Understand the Upgrade Coordinator architecture
- Review and troubleshoot the upgrade process for NSX-T Data Center Environment
12 Datapath Walk-Through
- Describe the components involved in the NSX-T Data Center Datapath
- Verify and validate the path of the packet on the NSX-T Datapath
- Identify and perform packet captures at various points in Datapath
- Use nsxcli to retrieve several configurations involved in NSX-T Datapath
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.