This two-day, hands-on VMware Horizon 8: Infrastructure Administration course gives you the skills to install and configure a virtual desktop infrastructure platform. This course builds your skills in installing and configuring VMware Horizon® through a combination of lecture and hands-on labs. You learn how to install and configure VMware Horizon® Connection Server™, VMware Unified Access Gateway™, how to configure a load balancer for use with Horizon, and how to establish Cloud Pod Architecture.
VMware Horizon 8 V2006
VMware Horizon 8: Infrastructure Administration is the second half of a two-course requirement for the following certification:
VMware Certified Professional – Desktop and Mobility 2020 (VCP-DTM 20202).
VMware Horizon 8: Skills for Virtual Desktop Management satisfies the first requirement. The courses are also available as a single, bundled offering, VMware Horizon 8: Deploy and Manage, which meets the certification requirement on its own.
Administrators and architects for VMware Horizon should enroll in this course. These individuals are responsible for the implementation, maintenance, and administration of an organization's end-user computing infrastructure.
In order to facilitate your VMware e-courseware provision QA will share your name and email address (that which we have registered for you on our business systems) with VMware. VMware will then send you directly the details of your e-courseware access no less than 48 hours before your course is due to take place. VMware will not use these details for any other purpose than provisioning you with your e-courseware.
Please note that these details are held by VMware outside of the EU. If you have an existing VMware MyLearn account it is imperative that you notify QA of the email address you have registered to this account. Should you have any questions or concerns about this please contact your QA account manager.
Those delegates who are attending via either virtual or extended classroom will be required to provide either dual monitors or single monitor plus a tablet device.
Customers attending this course should have, at a minimum, the following VMware infrastructure skills:
- Use VMware vSphere® Web Client to view the state of virtual machines, datastores, and networks
- Open a virtual machine console on VMware vCenter Server® and access the guest operating system
- Create snapshots of virtual machines
- Configure guest customization specifications
- Modify virtual machine properties
- Convert a virtual machine into a template
- Deploy a virtual machine from a template
Attendees should also have the following Microsoft Windows system administration experience:
- Configure Active Directory services, including DNS, DHCP, and time synchronization
- Restrict user activities by implementing Group Policy objects
- Configure Windows systems to enable Remote Desktop Connections
- Build an ODBC connection to an SQL Server database
By the end of the VMware Horizon 8: Infrastructure Administration course, you should be able to meet the following objectives:
- Identify Horizon Connection Server installation, architecture, and requirements.
- Describe the authentication and certification options for a Horizon environment
- Recognize the integration process and benefits of VMware Workspace ONE® Access™ and Horizon 8
- Discuss performance and scalability options available in Horizon 8
- Describe different security options for the Horizon environment
1 Course Introduction
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
2 Horizon Connection Server
- Recognize VMware Horizon reference architecture
- Identify the Horizon Connection Server supported features
- Identify the recommended system requirements for Horizon Connection Server
- Configure Horizon event database
- Outline the steps for the initial configuration of Horizon Connection Server
- Discuss the ADAM database as a critical component of Horizon Connection Server installation
3 VMware Horizon Authentication and Certificates
- Compare the authentication options that Horizon Connection Server supports
- Describe the Smartcard authentication options that Horizon Connection Server supports
- Outline the steps to create a Horizon administrator and custom roles
- Describe the roles available in a Horizon environment
- Explain the role that certificates play for Horizon Connection Server
- Install and configure certificates for Horizon Connection Server
- Install and configure True SSO in a Horizon environment
4 Workspace ONE Access & Virtual Application Management
- Recognize the features and benefits of Workspace ONE Access
- Recognize the Workspace ONE Access console features
- Explain identity management in Workspace ONE Access
- Explain access management in Workspace ONE Access
- Describe the Workspace ONE Access directory integration
- Describe the Workspace ONE Access directory integration
- Deploy virtual applications with Workspace services
5 VMware Horizon Performance and Scalability
- Describe the purpose of a replica connection server
- Explain how multiple Horizon Connection Server instances in a pod maintain synchronization
- Describe the 3D rendering options available in Horizon 8
- List the steps to configure graphics cards for use in a Horizon environment
- Configure a load balancer for use in a Horizon environment
- Explain Horizon Cloud Pod Architecture LDAP replication and VIPA
- Explain Horizon Cloud Pod Architecture scalability options
6 Managing VMware Horizon Security
- Explain concepts relevant to secure Horizon connections
- Describe how to restrict Horizon connections.
- Discuss the benefits of using Unified Access Gateway
- List the two-factor authentication options that are supported by Unified Access Gateway
- List Unified Access Gateway firewall rules
- Describe the situation in which you might deploy Unified Access Gateway instances with one, two, or three network interfaces
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.