In this five-day course, you focus on installing, configuring, and managing VMware Cloud Director™ 10.x. You learn about workload provisioning, the creation of organizations, virtual data centers (VDCs), catalog services that include predefined virtual machines, and on-demand VMware NSX® networks. This course also covers interfacing VMware Cloud Director with other systems and the integration and use of VMware Cloud Director Availability™. You also learn how to manage multisite, cross-VDC networking, and configuring Central Point of Management (CPOM) to define a Software-defined Data Center (SDDC) for a tenant and provider users of VMware Cloud Director. This course also discusses how to monitor various VMware Cloud Director objects using VMware vRealize® OperationsTM and discusses administering tenant facing applications using vRealize® Operations Tenant AppTM.
Completion of the following course is required:
- VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage or equivalent knowledge
- Substantial knowledge of TCP/IP networking is helpful.
Customers, cloud architects, systems engineers, data center administrators, and cloud administrators with experience in managed services or managing a service provider environment
Delegates will learn how to
- Deploy VMware Cloud Director
- Manage VMware Cloud Director to meet the service provider needs
- Create and manage VMware Cloud Director organizations and vApps to fulfill business needs
- Create and manage VMware Cloud Director catalogs
- Transfer virtual machine workloads from VMware vSphere® into and out of VMware Cloud Director
- Configure networking for organizations and vApps with the help of VMware NSX-T™ Data Center and VMware NSX® Data Center for vSphere™ Discuss customer onboarding scenario using VMware Cloud Availability for on premises-to-cloud workload migration
- Enable a layer 2 stretched network that spans across multiple VMware Cloud Director sites and organization VDCs within the same site
- Manage resources from the VMWare Cloud Director console and use VMware vRealize® Operations Manager™
- Manage a dedicated VMware vCenter Server® and publish proxies to the tenant
- Onboard developer applications to the tenant using VMware Cloud Director® App Launchpad™
- Enable VM and Named Disk Encryption
- Create VM sizing and placement policies
1 Course Introduction
• Introductions and course logistics
• Course objectives
2 Software-Defined Data Center and VMware Validated Design
• Define Software-Defined Data Center
• Discuss VMware offerings for Cloud-Based Services
• Understand the main components of the Software-Defined Data Center
• Discuss the deployment options for vCloud Director
• Discuss VMware Validated Design™
• Recognize the design considerations when creating a cloud environment on the SDDC
3 Deploying and Configuring VMware Cloud Director
• Discuss the deployment options for VMware Cloud Director
• Explain different deployment options of VMware Cloud Director.
• Define automatic failover, switchover, and fencing in the VMware Cloud Director appliance
• Describe the API-only supported features of the VMware Cloud Director appliance
• Familiarize with the multiple API endpoints of the VMware Cloud Director appliance
4 VMware Cloud Director Provider and Tenant
• Describe how the compute resources are provided to VMware Cloud Director
• Describe how storage is provided to VMware Cloud Director
• Configure and manage storage for Virtual Datacenters (VDCs)
• Discuss the use of External Networks
• Describe VMware Cloud Director organizations
• Describe the purpose of VMware Cloud Director organizations
• Configure organizations
• Enumerate organization policies
• Allocate resources to an organization
• Discuss Cloud Director organizations
• Create Cloud Director organizations
• Understand organization policies
• How to access an organization using various portals
• Understand organization VDC
• Discuss what is linked clone and fast provisioning
• Explore cross datastore provisioning
5 User Access Control
• User bundle and role-based access control
• Describe role-based access
• Create custom security roles
• Describe and configure LDAP integration with Active Directory
• Describe single sign-on
• Enable a SAML identity provider
• Describe two-factor authentication
• Discuss user-bundle and role-based access control
6 Working with Virtual Machines
• Discuss the use of virtual machines
• Create a standalone VM
• Perform VM operations
• Manage VM properties
• Discuss the use of App Launchpad
• Onboard applications using App Launchpad
7 Working with vApps
• Create and manage vApps
• Deploy a vApp using various methods
• Build a vApp using best practices
• Discuss the vApp lease policies
• Discuss the implications of deleting a VM that has a named disk attached to it
• Describe VM encryption
• Discuss how VMware Cloud Director VMs and disks are encrypted
• Demonstrate how to use VM sizing and placement policies
8 Managing Catalogs and Templates
• Explain the purpose of catalogs and how to create a catalog organization.
• Manage catalogs
• Share catalogs
• Discuss vApp templates
• Describe the purpose and usage of Open Virtualization Format (OVF) and Custom vApp or VM Properties
• Define Catalog management and sharing catalogs inside and between organizations
9 VMware Cloud Director Networking
• Discuss Container Service Extension
• Discuss organization VDC networks
• List the types of organization VDC networks
• Describe the edge gateway services
• Explain NSX Datacenter for vSphere architecture
• Discuss NSX-T Datacenter architecture
• List the enhanced VMware NSX-T Data Center supported features of VMware Cloud Director
• Explore the services offered by the edge services gateway
• Recognize the sub-allocation IP pool and its use cases
• Discuss DHCP, NAT, and high availability services on the edge services gateway
• Recognize SNAT and DNAT use cases
• Explain load balancing, routing, and distributed firewall services
• Create and manage vApp networks
• List the various types of vApp networks
• Discuss vApp fencing
• Discuss routed, isolated, and direct vApp networks
10 Advanced Networking
• Describe the multisite feature in Cloud Director
• Associate Cloud Director sites
• Associate organizations
• Access multiple sites from a single user interface
• Configure cross-VDC networking and L2 stretched networks
• Configure data center groups
• Explain the main usage and purpose of the NSX Migration of Cloud Director tool
• Explain the environmental prerequisites and how to prepare the edge cluster for bridging
11 Additional Features
• Discuss multisite deployments
• Configure cross VDC networking
• Define SDDC
• Familiarize with SDDC and SDDC proxy
• Discuss enhanced CPOM through the tenant portal
• Discuss architecture for vCloud Availability for vCloud Director
• Discuss vCloud Availability for vCloud Director portal
• Review fail-over Virtual Machine options
• Discuss on premises-to-cloud migration
• Discuss enhanced CPOM through the tenant portal
• Integrate vRealize Orchestrator with Cloud Director.
• Execute Cloud Director workflows using vRealize Orchestrator.
• Integrate vCloud Availability with Cloud Director
• Understand Container Service Extension
12 Resource Monitoring and Feature Preview
• Identify log locations for vCloud Director
• Manage vSphere resources from vCloud Director
• Manage cloud resources from vCloud Director
• Understand monitoring of objects from VMware Cloud Director HTML5 Portal
• Briefly introduce vRealize Operations Manager
• Integrate VMware Cloud Director with vRealize Operations Manager
• Configure Cloud Director Management Pack
• Understand dashboard, metrics, alerts, alert definition, and reports
• Introduce VMware vRealize Operations Tenant App
• Integrate VMware Cloud Director with Tenant App
• Configure Tenant App with VMware Cloud Director
• Monitoring and billing objects with Tenant App
• List the upcoming features
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.