Please note: for Attend from Anywhere customers an additional screen is required. The additional screen must have a minimum screen size of 19 inch and minimum resolution of 1280x1024, with the vertical resolution (1024) being the most critical.
This course is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills required to support and troubleshoot Windows 10 PCs and devices in a Windows Server domain environment. These skills include understanding of Windows 10 features, how they can be used in an Active Directory environment and how to troubleshoot them.
The primary audience for this course is the Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (EDST), who provides Tier 2 support to users running Windows 10 personal computers (PCs) and devices in medium to large enterprise organizations, within a Windows domain environment. EDSTs focus on a broad range of technical issues for Windows operating systems (OSs), devices, cloud services, applications, networking, and hardware support. In the overarching scenario, if an Enterprise offers the service, the EDST is asked to support it.
The key responsibilities include resolving technical issues pertaining to Windows 10 installation and migration, activation, performance, profiles, settings; and device synchronization. Some other key responsibilities include local and remote network access; access to applications, access to data and printers; authentication, Endpoint security and policy; OS and data recovery.
It is important that delegates have a good working knowledge of Windows 10, its interface and its features before attending this course. This may be obtained by attending one of the following courses: M20697-1 or M20698”
Additional required pre-requisites:
- Networking fundamentals, including Transmission Control Protocol /Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), User Datagram Protocol (UDP), and Domain Name System (DNS).
- Microsoft Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) principles.
- Understanding of the Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) components.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 fundamentals.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the processes involved in planning and using a troubleshooting methodology for Windows 10.
- Troubleshoot startup issues and operating system services on a Windows 10 PC.
- Resolve issues related to hardware devices and device drivers.
- Troubleshoot Windows 10 PCs remotely.
- Troubleshoot issues related to network connectivity.
- Troubleshoot client configuration failures and GPO application issues.
- Troubleshoot issues related to user settings.
- Troubleshoot remote connectivity issues.
- Resolve issues related to accessing resources from computers that are domain-joined.
- Resolve issues related to accessing resources from computers that are not domain-joined.
- Troubleshoot issues related to application installation and operation.
- Recover a PC running Windows 10.
Module 1: Implementing a Troubleshooting Methodology
This module introduces the new Windows 10 operating system features and devices; it also describes the process of developing and applying a Windows 10 troubleshooting methodology.
- Overview of Windows 10
- Introduction to the EDST Job Role
- Overview of Troubleshooting Steps
- Troubleshooting Tools
Lab : Using Troubleshooting Tools
- Using Troubleshooting Tools
Module 2: Troubleshooting Startup Issues
This module describes how to identify and troubleshoot startup issues that affect—and problematic services that run on—a Windows 10 operating system. This module introduces potential problems that can cause startup issues in Windows 10. It also provides an overview of the Windows startup process, including the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and Boot Configuration Data (BCD).
- Overview of the Windows 10 Startup Recovery Environment
- Troubleshooting Startup Settings
- Recovering BitLocker-Protected Drives
- Configuring the Registry
Lab : Troubleshooting Startup Issues
- Exploring Windows RE
- Resolving a Startup Issue
Lab : Recovering BitLocker-Encrypted Drives
- Recovering a BitLocker-Encrypted Drive
- Creating a New BitLocker Password
Module 3: Performing System Recovery
This module describes how to resolve issues related to operating system services and how to recover a computer.
- Troubleshooting Operating System Service Issues
- Recovering a Computer
Lab : Performing System Recovery
- Preparing for System Recovery
- Recovering a computer
Module 4: Troubleshooting Hardware and Device Drivers
This module explains how to resolve issues related to device drivers and hardware devices.
- Troubleshooting Device Drivers Failures
- Overview of Hardware Troubleshooting
Lab : Troubleshooting Hardware and Device Driver Issues
- Troubleshooting a Missing Device Driver
- Resolving Hardware Problems
- Resolving Device Driver Problems
Module 5: Administering Windows 10
This module describes how to use the various administration tools in Windows 10 to resolve issues. It describes the features and functionalities of tools such as Windows Admin Center, Remote Desktop, Quick Assist, and Windows PowerShell.
- Overview of Administration Tools
- Using Remote Desktop
- Introduction to Windows PowerShell
- Remoting with Windows PowerShell
- Introduction to Provisioning
Lab : Troubleshooting Remote Computers Through Remote Desktop
- Using Remote Desktop
Lab : Troubleshooting a Remote Computer By Using Windows PowerShell
- Using Windows PowerShell Remoting
Module 6: Resolving Issues with Network Connectivity
This module explains how to identify network settings and troubleshoot issues related to network connectivity in wired and wireless networks, IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity, and name resolution.
- Determining Network Settings
- Troubleshooting Network Connectivity
- Troubleshooting Name Resolution
Lab : Resolving Network Connectivity Issues
- Configuring network settings
- Resolving a Network Problem (1)
- Resolving a Network Problem (2)
Module 7: Troubleshooting Group Policy
This module provides an overview of the Group Policy application and describes how to resolve issues in client configuration GPO application.
- Overview of Group Policy Application
- Resolving Client-Configuration Failures and GPO Application Issues
Lab : Troubleshooting Issues with Group Policy Application
- Working with GPOs
- Resolving Group Policy Application (1)
- Resolving Group Policy Application (2)
- Resolving Group Policy Application (3)
Module 8: Configuring and Troubleshooting User Settings
This module describes the common sign-in issues, how to detect them, and how to troubleshoot these issues. The module also provides an overview of user account types that are supported by Windows 10 and how authentication works for those accounts.
- Troubleshooting Sign-In Issues
- Troubleshooting the Application of User Settings
Lab : Troubleshooting Sign-In Issues
- Resolving a Sign-In Issue
Lab : Configuring and Troubleshooting the Application of User Settings
- Optional: Configuring UE-V
- Configuring Folder Redirection
- Resolving a Folder Redirection Issue
Module 9: Troubleshooting Remote Connectivity
This module provides an overview of Remote Access and describes how to troubleshoot issues with VPN connectivity.
- Overview of Remote Access
- Troubleshooting Issues with VPN Connectivity
Lab : Troubleshooting VPN Connectivity
- Troubleshoot VPN Connectivity Issue 1
- Troubleshoot VPN Connectivity Issue 2
Module 10: Configuring and Troubleshooting Resource Access
This module describes how to troubleshoot issues with file permissions and printer access. It also describes how to configure and manage file synchronization and file recovery in Windows 10.
- Troubleshooting File Permissions Issues
- Troubleshooting Issues with Printer Access
- Configuring and Troubleshooting File Synchronization
- Performing file recovery in Windows 10
Lab : Troubleshooting File-Access Issues
- Resolving a File-Access Issue (1)
- Resolving a File-Access Issue (2)
- Resolving a File-Access Issue (3)
Lab : Troubleshooting Printer Issues
- Resolving a Printer Issue (1)
- Resolving a Printer Issue (2)
Lab : Configuring and Troubleshooting File Synchronization
- Troubleshooting Work Folders
Lab : Recovering data
- Preparing for file recovery
- Resolving issues by using Previous Versions
Module 11: Troubleshooting Applications
This module explains how to troubleshoot application installation-issues and problems in desktop and Microsoft Store apps. This module also describes how to resolve issues with Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge browsers.
- Troubleshooting Desktop App Installation Issues
- Troubleshooting Desktop Apps
- Managing Universal Windows Apps
Lab : Troubleshooting Desktop Apps
- Troubleshooting AppLocker Policy Applications
- Troubleshooting Application Compatibility Issues
Lab : Provisioning a Kiosk device
- Creating a provisioning package
- Applying a provisioning package
Module 12: Maintaining Windows 10
This module describes how to troubleshoot activation and performance issues in Windows 10. It also explains how to apply and troubleshoot Windows updates.
- Monitoring and Troubleshooting Computer Performance
- Applying Applications and Windows Updates
Lab : Maintaining Windows 10
- Resolve a Performance-Related Issue
- Configure Windows Update Settings