Building on the benefits of the Spring framework, Spring Boot represents the next chapter in Java development. Spring Boot’s opinionated approach removes much of the boilerplate and configuration that characterizes Spring, making development faster and deployment easier.
This course offers hands-on experience with Spring Boot and its major features, including auto-configuration, data access, Actuator, and more. On completion, participants will have a foundation for creating enterprise-ready applications.
A good working knowledge of web application development using Java and an IDE. Basic understanding of Spring: Java Config, component-scanning, Spring driven testing and Spring data-management (â€‹JdbcTemplateâ€‹, â€‹@Transactionalâ€‹). Experience using Java, Git, and a build tool (Maven or Gradle).
Delegates will learn how to
Upon completion of this course, participants will understand how SpringBoot enhances the following:
- Describe the benefits provided by Spring Boot
- Initialize a project using Spring Boot Starters
- Leverage Spring Boot's auto configuration features to enableJDBC setup and initialization
- Create simplified backing-store solutions using Spring Data and JPA
- Build a simple MVC application using Spring Boot, embedded WebServer and fat JARs or classic WARs
- Build a RESTful Web application
- Use Spring Security to secure Web and REST endpoints
- Enable and extend metrics and monitoring capabilities usingSpring Boot actuator
- Leverage advance configuration capabilities
- Utilize Spring Boot enhancements to testing
Review of Spring Essentials
- Why Spring
- Configuration using Spring
- Bean creation
- Data Management
Spring Boot Introduction
- Introduction to Spring Boot
- Value Proposition of Spring Boot
- High-level Spring Boot features
- Creating a simple Boot application using SpringInitializr web-site
Spring Boot Dependencies, Auto-Configuration and Runtime
- Dependency management using Spring Bootstarters
- How auto-configuration works
- Configuration properties
- Overriding auto-configuration
- Using CommandLineRunner
JPA with Spring and Spring Data
- Quick introduction to ORM with JPA
- Benefits of using Spring with JPA
- JPA configuration in Spring
- Configuring Spring JPA using Spring Boot
- Spring Data JPA dynamic repositories
Spring MVC Architecture and Overview
- Introduction to Spring MVC and requestprocessing
- Controller method signatures
- Using @Controller, @RestController and@GetMapping annotations
- Configuring Spring MVC with Spring Boot
- Spring Boot packaging options, JAR or WAR
Rest with Spring MVC
- An introduction to the REST architectural style
- Controlling HTTP response codes with@ResponseStatus
- Implementing REST with Spring MVC,@RequestMapping, @RequestBody and@ResponseBody
- Spring MVC’s HttpMessageConverters andautomatic content negotiation
- What problems does Spring Security solve?
- Configuring authentication
- Implementing authorization by intercepting URLs
- Authorization using OAuth
- Authorization at the Java method level
- Understanding the Spring Security filter chain
Actuators, Metrics and Health Indicators
- Enabling Spring Boot Actuator
- Custom Metrics
- Health Indicators
- Creating custom Health Indicators
- External monitoring systems
Spring Boot Testing Enhancements
- Spring Boot testing overview
- Integration testing and slices
- Slices to test different layers of the application
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.