As the newest member of the (Alliance for Qualification (A4Q) suite of Agile courses, the Practitioner in Agile course is a practical focus accelerated learning Agile certification. It is designed to allow people with current Agile knowledge to take their skills to a practitioner level in an intensive learning environment.
The course is designed for the whole team, as everyone has an equal responsibility for product quality. It covers the key competencies required to function effectively and efficiently whilst delivering quality. The course is focused on practical application, experiential and collaborative learning through discussion and exercises.
This course is designed for anyone wanting to improve their Agile skills and ensure accelerated quality delivery of working software. This includes developers, BA’s, Project Managers, Team Leaders, Testers, Scrum Masters and all other members of an Agile delivery team.
Benefits of PAQ
- Hands on, collaborative learning
- Accelerated path to agile practitioner
- Prove your agile quality competency
- Develop your agile mindset (soft skills)
- Stand out from the crowd with a certification that shows you can do!
- Accelerate quality in the organisation with agile quality practitioners
- Develop agile competency within your organisations to leverage more benefits from agile
- Demonstrate agile competence to internal and external customers
- Get ahead of the competition with qualified PAQs who can do!
For the Team:
- Bring the agile team together with a focus on quality
- Develop team competence, collaboration and confidence
- Motivate the team with a career path to practitioner
- Challenge the team to validate they can do with a practical certification!
This is a practitioner’s course. Candidates are expected to have met one of the agile knowledge prerequisites which can be demonstrated through certifications such as iSQI® Certified Agile Essentials (CAE), iSQI® Certified Scrum Master Pro, ISTQB® Foundation Level Agile Tester OR have 2 years professional experience working in Agile.
Due to the practical experiential learning approach to this course, there is assumed knowledge which, if not met, will make it difficult for candidates to complete the course and assessments within the timeboxed course.
Candidates are expected to be able to already apply basic practices and techniques, such as:
- Knowledge of Test Design – EP / BVA / State Transition / Decision tables / Exploratory
- Basic test terminology
- Understand the difference between functional and non-functional testing including the basic concepts of Performance and Usability testing
- Perform all the activities associated with the fundamental test process
During the course, delegates will learn and demonstrate during both the QAPAQ course and practical assessment knowledge, skills and behaviours that candidates capable of achieving/demonstrating by the areas and outcomes listed below:
- Agile Mindset – Prove that they can put into practice all the soft skills appropriate to the agile mindset aligned to the agile manifesto and principles
- Faster Delivery – Optimise delivery through implementing efficiencies and effective practices, maximising the work not done
- Build Quality In – Implement the team activities to ensure the product quality objectives for each persona are met from inception throughout the product lifecycle
- Engineering Principles – Build the right product, right first time maximising Business value using repeatable, auditable and adaptable processes, whilst minimising technical debt
- Continuous Testing – Support the integration of code by iterating through plan, build, test multiple times per day, in order to complete committed items aligned to acceptance criteria and the iteration definition of done
- Scalability – Identify additional risks and changes required to effectively scale processes based on team size and/or distribution
Day 1 – Agile Manifesto and Principles
- Engineering Principles
- Practical Exercises
- Fast Delivery
- Sprint Practice Exercises
Day 2 – Delivery
- Continuous Testing
- Build Quality In
- Mock Practical Exam
Day 3 – Team and Examination
- Debt & TDD
- Agile Mindset
- Sprint Practice Exercise
- Practical Examination including Scenario
The QAPAQ will prepare delegates to take the practical assessment taken under controlled exam conditions. The Assessment measures candidates against the PAQ Competency Framework. This is now available online via remote proctoring. Delegate can take the exam at any location at the time of their choosing. More information will be provided during the course.
The assessment exam will be on-line with a duration of 2.5 hours. It has two parts:
- Practical: This ‘hands-on’ practical assessment is in the form of a Sample Project which includes a product backlog release, user stories, associated design documentation plus a ‘multi-drop’ application seeded with defects. This will contribute 90 credits
- Scenario Questions: There will be 1 or 2 scenarios with questions associated with each (up to 5 questions in total across the scenarios). Note: these are not multiple choice but written answers. This will contributes 10 credits.
The exam is 2.5 hrs and delegates will requires to achieve a total of 60 (60%) credits to pass. Candidates whose native language or day-to-day business language is not the exam language can apply for 25% extra time.
On passing the exam, delegates are awarded the PAQ certificate. Any candidate failing will have an opportunity to schedule a re-sit with QA.
Soft Skills exhibited during the course
During the course, candidates will be evaluated against the soft skills and behaviours listed under the ‘Agile Mindset’ Competency Area. The QAPAQ course contains various exercises that will enable candidates to exhibit these characteristics. Qualified trainers will be able to observe these and provide any feedback to encourage candidates to improve their soft skills.
As such, the course is designed to engage with candidates with a view to help them exhibit the Agile Mindset competencies as opposed to a static observation of the skills and behaviours exhibited.
The soft skills evaluation is NOT part of the PAQ exam and as such is not assessed as a pass or fail. However, individual evaluation by the trainer will be provided to each candidate at the end of the course.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.