Learn the skills needed to become an effective administrator on IBM's POWER6-based systems that support Logical Partitioning (LPAR). Learn about the features of PowerVM Editions (Advanced POWER Virtualization - APV) and how to configure and manage LPARs running AIX V6.1 using the Hardware Management Console (HMC).
This course is appropriate for architects, system integrators, security administrators, network administrators, software engineers, technical support individuals, and IBM Business Partners who implement LPARs on IBM Power Systems p.
The students must have basic system administration experience with AIX. This prerequisite can be met by attending one of the following courses:
- AIX 6 System Administration I: Implementation (AU14)
- AIX 6 System Administration II: Problem Determination (AU16)
- AIX 5L Implementation Differences (AU37)
- AIX 6 Jumpstart for UNIX Professionals (AW18)
- or have equivalent AIX skills.
Students do not need any experience with logical partitioning.
General TCP/IP knowledge is strongly recommended. This prerequisite may be met by attending:
- AIX 5L Configuring TCP/IP (AU07)
- Describe important concepts associated with managing POWER6 processor-based systems, such as Logical partitioning (LPAR), dynamic partitioning, virtual devices, virtual processors, virtual consoles, virtual Local Area Network (VLAN), and shared processors
- Describe the features of the PowerVM Editions.
- Use the System Planning Tool to plan an LPAR configuration
- Describe the functions of the HMC
- Configure and manage the HMC, including users and permissions, software, startup and shutdown, remote access features, network configuration, security features, HMC backup and restore options, and the HMC reload procedure
- Describe the rules associated with allocating resources, including dedicated processors, processing units for Micro-Partitions, memory, physical I/O for AIX and Linux partitions
- Configure and manage LPARs using the HMC Graphical User Interface (GUI) and HMC commands
- Interpret physical and AIX location codes and relate to the key hardware components
- Power on and power off the POWER6 system
- Introduction to Partitioning
- Hardware System Overview
- Hardware Management Console
- System Planning Tool
- HMC and Managed System Maintenance
- System Power Management
- Planning and Configuring Logical Partitions
- Partition Operations
- Dynamic Resource Allocation