During this 5 day instructor led training course, delegates will receive a comprehensive introduction into the features, functions and the usage of the Wireshark Analyser and will learn methods and techniques about monitoring, analysis and troubleshooting of their networks from the packet level. This course will also focus on the detailed analysis and troubleshooting of typical network protocols and applications with specific focus on switched Ethernet, TCP/IP networks and TCP/IP based applications.
Delegates are required to attend the following course or have equivalent knowledge:
- 'Networking & TCP/IP Fundamentals (NWF)'
Features, functions and basic operation of Wireshark Analyzer
- Introduction and operation of Wireshark
- Live Capture and Live Capture settings
- Display options and basic interpretation
- Working with Display Filters and Capture Filters
- File Input and Output
Advanced features of Wireshark Analyzer
- Preferences and user profiles
- Name resolution
- Reconstructing user data – Protocol reassembly
- Packet colorization
Methodology and techniques of network analysis
- What is packet analysis?
- Steps and techniques for analyzing traffic
- Analysing Switched Ethernet - Tapping into the network
- Capturing wireless network traffic
- Measuring network delay and response time
- Measuring network throughput and overhead
Statistics and Baselining
- Baselining of networks and applications
- Wireshark statistics
Analysing networks and applications
- Typical network related problems
- Application types and typical application related problems
- 'Is it the network or the application?' – Fault isolation
- Analysing and reconstructing voice traffic
Switched Ethernet analysis
- Spanning Tree operation and Spanning Tree analysis
- Analysing VLANs, VLAN-Tagging
TCP/IP analysis of the network layer
- IP addressing
- Typical IP scenarios
- IP options
- ICMP, ARP and DHCP
TCP/IP analysis of the transport layer
- TCP functions
- Session Setup, Data Transfer and Session Teardown
- Window Mechanism and Window optimization
- TCP options (SACK, Window Scaling) and TCP timers
- UDP functions
Analysing TCP/IP with Wireshark
- Wireshark preferences for advanced TCP/IP analysis
- Typical TCP/IP related problems
- Wireshark Expert Info messages and their meanings
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.