This 5 day course comprises the "ONTAP 9.6 Cluster Administration (ONTAP9ADM)" followed by the 2 day "ONTAP 9.6 Data Protection Administration (DATAPROT9)" courses.
The first 3 days uses lecture and hands-on exercises to teach the basic administration tasks of an ONTAP 9.7 cluster. You use the cluster shell and OnCommand System Manager to manage storage and network resources. ONTAP Cluster Administration is an intermediate course in a comprehensive learning path for NetApp customers, partners and employees.
Students spend the final 2 days learning about the different data protection solutions that are integrated into ONTAP software, including the SyncMirror, SnapMirror, storage virtual machine (SVM) disaster recovery, and SnapVault solutions. The course also provides an overview of ONTAP MetroCluster configuration, NDMP, and cloud-based data protection with NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP and NetApp Data Availability Services. You also learn about the tools for managing ONTAP data protection features. In the hands-on exercises, you use NetApp OnCommand System Manager and the CLI to complete key data protection tasks.
The course also provides an overview of the ONTAP MetroCluster high-availability and disaster recovery software solution.
Delegates will learn how to
- Manage ONTAP administrators
- Configure and manage storage resources
- Configure and manage networking resources
- Create and configure a storage virtual machine (SVM)
- Create and manage FlexVol volumes
- Implement storage efficiency features
- Create protocol servers within an SVM
- Configure basic data protection features
- Perform administrative and preventive maintenance tasks
- Describe the data protection features in ONTAP software
- Configure SnapMirror® relationships for data replication
- Demonstrate storage virtual machine disaster recovery (SVM DR)
- Explain MetroCluster™ components and configuration
- Configure the SnapVault® feature for disk-to-disk backup and recovery
- Describe NDMP-enabled operations to back up NAS data to tape storage
- Describe the NetApp SnapCenter® software that is used for ONTAP data protection management
- Explain cloud-based data protection with NetApp Cloud Volumes ONTAP
Module 1: NetApp ONTAP 9 Clusters
- ONTAP deployment options
- The cluster
- ONTAP select learning resources
- NetApp cloud volumes learning resources
Module 2: Cluster Setup
- Supported FAS and AFF configurations
- Cluster setup
- Administration interfaces
- OnCommand System Manager: Guided cluster setup
Module 3: Cluster Management
- Manage access control
- Cluster node date and time
- ONTAP software licenses
- Manage jobs and schedules
Module 4: Network Management
- NetApp ONTAP Network Review
- Network ports
- Network traffic segregation
- Nondisruptive LIF configuration
- Routing management
- Failover group commands
- Routing management commands
- BGP and VIP LIFs
Module 5: Physical Storage Management
- Drives, RAID and aggregates
- Advanced drive portioning
- Flash cache and flash pool features
- FabricPool aggregates
- FabricPool in OnCommand System Manager
Module 6: Logical Storage Management
- Flexible volumes
- Provisioning storage resources
- Moving storage resources
- FlexGroup and FlexCache volumes
- Autobalance aggregate
Module 7: Data Access
- Use NAS protocols to access data
- Use SAN protocols to access data
- NVMe and NVMe/FC
Module 8: Data Protection
- Manage Snapshot copies
- Restore data from a Snapshot copy
- Backup and replicate data
- Storage encryption
- Secure purge and secure boot
Module 9: Storage Efficiency
- Thin provisioning
- Deduplication and compression
- Flash efficiency
- Volume and file clones
- Inline deduplication status
- Inline data compaction
Module 10: Cluster Maintenance
- Data collection, monitoring and automation tools
- Backing up and restoring your cluster configuration
- Upgrading your cluster
- Performance recommended practices
- Technical support
- ONTAP software upgrades
Module 11: Course Review
- Exploring ONTAP Management UIs
- Managing ONTAP clusters and administrators
- Managing physical and logical network resources
- Managing virtual network resources
- Managing physical storage
- Exploring RAID-TEC and creating a flash pool
- Managing data volumes
- Configuring NAS protocols in an SVM
- Configuring iSCSI in an SVM
- Managing Snapshot copies
- Encrypting a volume
- Managing storage efficiency
- Managing FlexClone volumes
- Bonus Exercise: creating a FlexGroup volume
- Installing and configuring Config Advisor
ONTAP Data Protection
Module 1: ONTAP Integrated Data Protection
- Data Fabric and ONTAP Software
- ONTAP Data Protection Solutions
- Data Protection Management Solutions
Module 2: SnapMirror Fundamentals
- SnapMirror Overview
- Configuring SnapMirror Relationships
- Additional SnapMirror Configuration Considerations
- Guidelines for Intercluster Networking
- Cluster and SVM Peering
Module 3: SnapMirror Operation
- SnapMirror Asynchronous
- Using SnapMirror for Disaster Recovery
- SnapMirror Synchronous
- SnapMirror and ONTAP Feature Interaction
Module 4: Storage Virtual Machine Disaster Recovery
- SVM Disaster Recovery (SVM DR) Overview
- Prepare a SVM for Data Protection
- Perform a SVM Initial Data Transfer
- SVM Manual Update
Module 5: MetroCluster
- MetroCluster Fundamentals
- MetroCluster Operations
Module 6: SnapVault
- Implementing a SnapVault Relationship
- Using SnapVault Software to Restore Data
Module 7: NDMP and Tape Backup
- NDMP Fundamentals
- NDMP Management
Module 8: SnapCenter
- NetApp SnapCenter software
- Integration with third-party management software
Module 9: Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- Cloud Volumes ONTAP Environment
- Data Protection Capabilities of Cloud Volumes ONTAP
Module 10: Course Review
- Configuring a load-sharing mirror relationship
- Configuring cluster peering and SVM peering
- Using SnapMirror software to mirror FlexVol volumes
- Performing SnapMirror disaster recovery
- Configuring a SnapMirror synchronous relationship
- Using FlexClone technology to clone a SnapMirror volume
- Configuring storage virtual machine disaster recovery
- Configuring the SnapVault relationship
- Using SnapVault to restore data
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.