In this course you will become familiar with some of the most important features of OnCommand Insight relevant to the day-to-day management, monitoring, and trouble-shooting of data infrastructures. This course concentrates on the reporting features of OnCommand Insight and the OnCommand Insight Data Warehouse. This course demonstrates how to use OnCommand Insight to perform operational reporting that aid in daily administrative tasks. This course will also demonstrate how to use IBM Cognos Workspace Advanced to perform Business Reporting. You will also learn how to create customized reports and a basic understanding of how to extend Insight to meet other business reporting needs.
Delegates will learn how to
- Describe general organizational-based reporting needs
- Use queries, widgets, and dashboards to display day-to-day operational reporting information
- Describe the OnCommand Insight data warehouse structure (DWH)
- Address business reporting requirements relating to chargeback, virtualization, and storage pool topics
- Describe where to find data warehouse reference documentation and how to maintain a healthy data warehouse
Module 1: Introduction to Reporting
- OnCommand Insight overview
- OCI Discover
- OCI Perform
- OCI Assure
- OCI Plan
- OCI architecture
- Data warehouse report-authoring tools
- Department or business unit
- OCI vs. OCI data warehouse
- Dashboard and reports
- Storage manager dashboard
- Storage automation store
- Importing reports
Module 2: Operational Reporting
- Query table
- Custom dashboard creation
Module 3: Data Warehouse
- Cognos report engine
- Administration portal
- Reporting portal
- ETL process
- Data warehouse database overview
- Data mart and data warehouse
- Contents of data warehouse
- Database schema
- Data model definitions
- Data mart inventory
- Built-in data models
- Storage capacity
- Data model file system utilization
- Data retention and consolidation
Module 4: Business Reporting: Chargeback
- Business level reporting: five elements
- Business entities and applications
- Hierarchical reporting
- Managing applications
IBM Cognos workspace advanced
- Package selection
- Report type
Module 5: Business Reporting: Virtual Machine Performance
- Controlling report contents
- Report formatting
- Filter criteria
- Adding charts
- The toolbox
- Customizing charts
- Adding links
Module 6: Business Reporting: Storage and Storage Pool Capacity Report
- Forecasting reports
- Drill down detail - report addition
- Conditional formatting
- Report formatting
Module 7: Maintaining OnCommand Insight Reporting Capabilities
- Public folders
- My folders
- Data warehouse admin portal
- ELT schedule
- Data warehouse manual back up/restore
- Data warehouse online documentation
- Schema description and diagrams
- MySQL database
- REST APIs
- Log into lab environment, access the data warehouse adminstration and reporting portals
- Import a report from the storage automation store
- Create an application resource operations dashboard
- Create a host and virtual machine operation dashboard
- Create a storage capacity operations dashboard
- Create a report in IBM Cognos workspace advanced centered on application chargeback
- Create a report in IBM Cognos workspace advanced centered on virtual machine performance
- Create a report in IBM Cognos workspace advanced centered on storage use
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.