Microsoft Word provides a wide range of tools and features that are designed to be used when creating longer documents.
Whether you need to learn how to control formatting efficiently, manage tables and graphics or manipulate large quantities of text, this course will show you how.
You will also learn how to create referencing content such as a table of contents and figures, work with footnotes and endnotes, captions, cross-references and indexes.
Later topics will cover how to use sections to control formatting so that you can effectively combine portrait and landscape pages, and to utilise changing headers, footers and page numbers throughout a document. You will also see how using fields to automate document content can benefit your workflow.
- Delegates must be existing users of Microsoft Word.
- Whilst they do not have to currently be creating and working with long documents, they must be comfortable using the software and should have attended an Introduction level course or have equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Attendees should be able to create, edit and format basic documents, and be able to insert simple tables and graphics.
- This course is suitable for anyone using Word 2010, 2013 or 2016. If you’re attending at a QA location, the course will be delivered on Word 2016.
- Work more effectively by using Quick Parts and customising the Word interface, as well as utilise shortcuts
- Format and control text and resolve common formatting issues
- Work with tables and graphics to control and manage them
- Create, apply and manage styles to format documents
- Use outlining to manage document content
- Incorporate referencing tools such as tables of contents and figures; captions, cross referencing and indexes; and use footnotes and endnotes
- Work with document sections to control page setup, headers/footers and page numbering
- Use document fields and properties to manage content
Module 1: Working effectively
- Navigating a document
- Using non breaking characters to control text wrapping
- Working with AutoText and document property Quick Parts
- Using Find and Replace options
- Customising Word
Module 2: Formatting text
- Character and paragraph formatting
- Automatic selection techniques
- Using the Reveal Formatting pane
- Controlling paragraphs with formatting
Module 3: Incorporating fields
- Inserting and updating fields
- Customising field output
- Combining fields
Module 4: Working with tables and graphics
- Controlling table positioning
- Working with rows and columns
- Modifying table properties
Module 5: Using styles
- Using styles to format text
- Creating and modifying styles
- View styles with the Styles Area
- Printing styles
Module 6: Outline view
- Viewing a document’s outline
- Managing document content
Module 7: Reference tables
- Creating and managing a table of contents
- Inserting captions and tables of figures
Module 8: Further reference tools
- Cross referencing
- Working with footnotes and endnotes
- Inserting and modifying an index
Module 9: Working with sections
- Creating section breaks
- Combining page setup and orientation in a document
- Newspaper columns
- Using sections to control headers, footers and page numbering