In this course, you'll learn how to use Microsoft Word to create and edit simple documents; format documents; add tables and lists; add design elements and layout options; and proof documents.
These days, most people take electronic word-processing for granted and we expect to use a computer to create the majority of our documents. Microsoft Word is designed to help you move smoothly through the task of creating professional looking documents.
This course is intended for delegates who want to learn the fundamental skills of working with Microsoft Word, such as creating, editing, and formatting documents; inserting simple tables and creating lists; and employing a variety of techniques for improving the appearance and accuracy of document content.
This course is suitable for anyone using Microsoft Word 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 or 2019. If you’re attending at a QA location, the course will be delivered on Word 2019.
- Use a mouse
- Type and use a keyboard
- Navigate through Windows files and folders
- Work with Windows - minimise, maximise, open and close
- These skills can be gained by attending one of our PC Fundamentals courses.
Delegates will learn how to
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Navigate and perform common tasks in Word, such as opening, viewing, editing, saving, and printing documents, and configuring the application.
- Format text and paragraphs.
- Perform repetitive operations efficiently using tools such as Find and Replace, Format Painter, and Styles.
- Enhance lists by sorting, renumbering, and customising list styles.
- Create and format tables.
- Insert graphic objects into a document, including symbols, special characters, illustrations, pictures, and clip art.
- Format the overall appearance of a page through page borders and colours, watermarks, headers and footers, and page layout.
- Use Word features to help identify and correct problems with spelling, grammar, readability, and accessibility.
Lesson 1: Getting Started with Word
- Topic A: Navigate in Microsoft Word
- Topic B: Create and Save Word Documents
- Topic C: Manage Your Workspace
- Topic D: Edit Documents
- Topic E: Preview and Print Documents
- Topic F: Customise the Word Environment
- Lesson 2: Formatting Text and Paragraphs
- Topic A: Apply Character Formatting
- Topic B: Control Paragraph Layout
- Topic C: Align Text Using Tabs
- Topic D: Display Text in Bulleted or Numbered Lists
- Topic E: Apply Borders and Shading
Lesson 3: Working More Efficiently
- Topic A: Make Repetitive Edits
- Topic B: Apply Repetitive Formatting
- Topic C: Use Styles to Streamline Repetitive Formatting Tasks
Lesson 4: Managing Lists
- Topic A: Sort a List
- Topic B: Format a List
Lesson 5: Adding Tables
- Topic A: Insert a Table
- Topic B: Modify a Table
- Topic C: Format a Table
- Topic D: Convert Text to a Table
Lesson 6: Inserting Graphic Objects
- Topic A: Insert Symbols and Special Characters
- Topic B: Add Images to a Document
Lesson 7: Controlling Page Appearance
- Topic A: Apply a Page Border and Colour
- Topic B: Add Headers and Footers
- Topic C: Control Page Layout
- Topic D: Add a Watermark
Lesson 8: Preparing to Publish a Document
- Topic A: Check Spelling, Grammar, and Readability
- Topic B: Use Research Tools
- Topic C: Check Accessibility
- Topic D: Save a Document to Other Formats