Please note: Due to the dynamic nature of updates to Office 365 functionality by Microsoft, elements of the syllabus of this course can be subject to change without notice.
Please be aware that while this course is the appropriate option to prepare you for the related Microsoft exam, the topics and structure of the course can be confusing for delegates who are not interested specifically in certification. The course does not represent a deep dive into any of the various Office 365 technologies identified in the below course syllabus. Topics are treated as a high-level introduction and there are limited practical lab exercises associated with the various modules. Candidates wanting real-world skills and knowledge relating to Office 365 are strongly advised to consider the QAOFF365GOV “Mastering GDPR, Governance, Security and Compliance in Office 365” course instead.
If you are interested in an in-depth exploration of any specific Office 365 technology, QA recommends that you attend a Technical Mastering QA-authored course from our Microsoft 365 curriculum, which offers end-to-end detailed guidance and hands-on labs for:
Exchange Online and Exchange Hybrid
- Mastering Exchange Online Administration – 3 days
- Mastering Exchange Hybrid Deployments – Hands on – 3 days
Sharepoint Online and Sharepoint Hybrid
- Mastering Sharepoint Online Design, Architecture and Best Practice Administration – 5 days
- Mastering Sharepoint 2016 Hybrid Deployments – Hands on – 3 days
Office 365 Teams
Office 365 Governance, Compliance and Security
Sharepoint and Office 365 Modern Development
Microsoft Flow and Microsoft PowerApps
Defensive Security of Microsoft 365: Hands-on
This course comprises the following Microsoft Official Curriculum modules:
- MS-500T01 Managing Microsoft 365 Identity and Access
- MS-500T02 Implementing Microsoft 365 Threat Protection
- MS-500T03 Implementing Microsoft 365 Information Protection
- MS-500T04 Administering Microsoft 365 Built-in Compliance
Managing Microsoft 365 Identity and Access
Help protect against credential compromise with identity and access management. In this course you will learn how to secure user access to your organisation’s resources. Specifically, this course covers user password protection, multi-factor authentication, how to enable Azure Identity Protection, how to configure Active Directory federation services, how to setup and use Azure AD Connect, and introduces you to Conditional Access. You will also learn about solutions for managing external access to your Microsoft 365 system.
Implementing Microsoft 365 Threat Protection
Threat protection helps stop damaging attacks with integrated and automated security. In this course you will learn about threat protection technologies that help protect your Microsoft 365 environment. Specifically, you will learn about threat vectors and Microsoft’s security solutions for them. You will learn about Secure Score, Exchange Online protection, Azure Advanced Threat Protection, Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection, and how to use Microsoft 365 Threat Intelligence. It also discusses securing mobile devices and applications. The goal of this course is to help you configure your Microsoft 365 deployment to achieve your desired security posture.
Implementing Microsoft 365 Information Protection
Information protection is the concept of locating and classifying data anywhere it lives. In this course you will learn about information protection technologies that help secure your Microsoft 365 environment. Specifically, this course discusses information rights managed content, message encryption, as well as labels, policies and rules that support data loss prevention and information protection. Lastly, the course explains the deployment of Microsoft Cloud App Security.
Administering Microsoft 365 Built-in Compliance
Internal policies and external requirements for data retention and investigation may be necessary for your organization. In this course you will learn about archiving and retention in Microsoft 365 as well as data governance and how to conduct content searches and investigations. Specifically, this course covers data retention policies and tags, in-place records management for SharePoint, email retention, and how to conduct content searches that support eDiscovery investigations. The course also helps your organisation prepare for Global Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
This course is for the Microsoft 365 security administrator role. This role collaborates with the Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator, business stakeholders and other workload administrators to plan and implement security strategies and ensures that the solutions comply with the policies and regulations of the organisation.
This role proactively secures Microsoft 365 enterprise environments. Responsibilities include responding to threats, implementing, managing and monitoring security and compliance solutions for the Microsoft 365 environment. They respond to incidents, investigations and enforcement of data governance.
The Microsoft 365 Security administrator is familiar with Microsoft 365 workloads and has strong skills and experience with identity protection, information protection, threat protection, security management and data governance. This role focuses on the Microsoft 365 environment and includes hybrid environments.
Learners should start this course already having the following skills:
- Basic conceptual understanding of Microsoft Azure
- Experience with Windows 10 devices
- Experience with Office 365
- Basic understanding of authorisation and authentication
- Basic understanding of computer networks
- Working knowledge of managing mobile devices
Module 1: User and Group Security
This module explains how to manage user accounts and groups in Microsoft 365. It introduces you to Privileged Identity Management in Azure AD as well as Identity Protection. The module sets the foundation for the remainder of the course.
- User Accounts in Microsoft 365
- Administrator Roles and Security Groups in Microsoft 365
- Password Management in Microsoft 365
- Azure AD Identity Protection
Lab: Managing your Microsoft 365 Identity environment
- Setting up your lab environment
- Managing your Microsoft 365 identity environment using the Microsoft 365 admin center
- Assign service administrators
Module 2: Identity Synchronisation
This module explains concepts related to synchronising identities. Specifically, it focuses on Azure AD Connect and managing directory synchronisation to ensure the right people are connecting to your Microsoft 365 system.
- Introduction to Identity Synchronisation
- Planning for Azure AD Connect
- Implementing Azure AD Connect
- Managing Synchronised Identities
Lab: Implementing Identity Synchronisation
- Setting up your organisation for identity synchronisation
Module 3: Federated Identities
This module is all about Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS). Specifically, you will learn how to plan and manage AD FS to achieve the level of access you want to provide users from other directories.
- Introduction to Federated Identities
- Planning an AD FS Deployment
- Implementing AD FS
Module 4: Access Management
This module describes Conditional Access for Microsoft 365 and how it can be used to control access to resources in your organisation. The module also explains Role Based Access Control (RBAC) and solutions for external access.
- Conditional Access
- Managing Device Access
- Role Based Access Control (RBAC)
- Solutions for External Access
Module 5: Security in Microsoft 365
This module starts by explaining the various cyber-attack threats that exist. It then introduces you to the Microsoft solutions to thwart those threats. The module finishes with an explanation of Microsoft Secure Score and how it can be used to evaluate and report your organisation's security posture.
- Threat Vectors and Data Breaches
- Security Solutions for Microsoft 365
- Microsoft Secure Score
Module 6: Advanced Threat Protection
This module explains the various threat protection technologies and services available in Microsoft 365. Specifically, the module covers message protection through Exchange Online Protection, Azure Advanced Threat Protection and Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection.
- Exchange Online Protection
- Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection
- Managing Safe Attachments
- Managing Safe Links
- Azure Advanced Threat Protection
- Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection
Lab: Advanced Threat Protection
- Setting up your lab environment
- Editing an ATP Safe Links policy and creating a Safe Attachment policy
Module 7: Threat Intelligence
This module explains Microsoft Threat Intelligence which provides you with the tools to evaluate and address cyber threats. You will learn how to use the Security Dashboard in the Microsoft 365 Security and Compliance Center. It also explains and configures Microsoft Advanced Threat Analytics.
- Microsoft 365 Threat Intelligence
- Using the Security Dashboard
- Configuring Advanced Threat Analytics
Lab: Advanced Threat Analytics
- Enabling and installing the ATA Center
Module 8: Mobility
This module is all about securing mobile devices and applications. You will learn about Mobile Device Management and how it works with Intune. You will also learn about how Intune and Azure AD can be used to secure mobile applications.
- Plan for Mobile Application Management
- Plan for Mobile Device Management
- Deploy Mobile Device Management
- Enroll Devices to Mobile Device Management
Module 9: Information Protection
This module explains information rights management in Exchange and SharePoint. It also describes encryption technologies used to secure messages. The module introduces how to implement Azure Information Protection and Windows Information Protection.
- Information Rights Management
- Secure Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension
- Office 365 Message Encryption
- Azure Information Protection
- Advanced Information Protection
- Windows Information Protection
Lab: Data Loss Prevention
- Create and license users in your organisation
- Configure MDM auto-enrollment
- Configure AIP and WIP
Module 10: Data Loss Prevention
This module is all about data loss prevention in Microsoft 365. You will learn about how to create policies, edit rules, and customise user notifications.
- Data Loss Prevention Explained
- Data Loss Prevention Policies
- Custom DLP Policies
- Creating a DLP Policy to Protect Documents
- Policy Tips
Lab: Data Loss Prevention
- Create and license users in your organisation
- Create a DLP policy
- Testing DLP Policies
Module 11: Cloud Application Security
This module is all about cloud app security for Microsoft 365. The module will explain cloud discovery, app connectors, policies, and alerts.
- Cloud Application Security Explained
- Using Cloud Application Security Information
- Office 365 Cloud App Security
Microsoft 365 Learning Pathways
This course features in the following learning path:
Microsoft Official Course (MOC)