Mastering Power Automate is a 3-day advanced training class designed for students who are ready to move their Power Automate skills with cloud flows to the next level. Students will cover topics necessary for building more complex flows as well as look at best practices for creating and maintaining cloud flows.
Please note - Under the umbrella term of Power Automate, Microsoft include three- types of processes: Cloud Flows, Business Process Flows and Desktop flows (also known as Power Automate RPA). This course exclusively looks at Power Automate cloud flows (the product previously known as Microsoft Flow) and uses generic Office 365 data sources (i.e. not Dataverse) for examples.
For training on Business process flows (and the associated Dataverse environment that they exist in, please refer to course Mastering Power Platform Dataverse and Model-Driven Apps (QAMPMOD).
For training in Desktop flows, please refer to course Microsoft Power Automate RPA Developer.
Due to the dynamic nature of updates to Office 365 functionality by Microsoft, elements of the syllabus of this course can be subject to change without notice.
Before attending this course, learners should have:
- A general knowledge of using Office 365
- Some experience of basic SharePoint administration
- Attended QA’s Power Automate Essentials course, or have equivalent knowledge
- Some additional experience creating flows
- Some knowledge of JSON would also be useful, but is not essential
Please Note: If you attend a course and do not meet the prerequisites you may be asked to leave.
Instructors will demonstrate features throughout the event. Optional Lab exercises are available for students to complete within a delegate created free trial tenancy. Microsoft may require a valid credit card to create 30 day free tenancies which must be cancelled within 30 days to avoid incurring charges. QA have no control over the Microsoft 365 trial tenancy signup or billing process.
Delegates will learn how to
Delegates will learn how to
- Work with variables, conditions, and loops
- Work with functions and expressions
- Use Adaptive Cards to enhance the user experience
- Enhance the build-in approval process
- Use the SharePoint REST API for advanced SharePoint tasks
- Integrate Power Automate flows with Power Apps
- Apply Power Automate design best practices
- Handle flow run-time errors
- Utilise Parent – Child flows
- Use the Microsoft Graph API with Power Automate
Module 1 – Power Automate Essentials
- What you should already know
- Working with dynamic content and expressions
- Referencing trigger information
- Referencing action information
- Lab 01 – Preparation tasks
Module 2 – Variables, Conditions and Loops
- Lab 02 – Conditions and loops
Module 3 – Functions and Expressions
- Reasons to use expressions
- Anatomy of a function
- Basic and advanced expressions
- Where can expressions be used
- Expression editor
- Expressions or actions
- Lab 03 - Functions
Module 4 – Working with Adaptive Cards
- Why use Adaptive Cards
- Adaptive Cards designer
- Using an Adaptive Card
- Lab 04 – Adaptive Cards
Module 5 – Advanced control properties and OData
- Common advanced settings
- Advanced trigger settings
- Advanced action settings
- Lab 05 – Advanced properties
Module 6 – Advanced Approvals
- Approval options
- Custom responses
- Approval limitations
- Adding reminders to approvals
- State pattern
- Lab 06 – Advanced approvals
Module 7 – Using the SharePoint HTTP action
- Making an HTTP request to SharePoint
- Lab 07 – SharePoint HTTP action
Module 8 – Integration with Power Apps
- The flow
- Calling the flow from Power Apps
- Capturing returned data
- Lab 08 – Working with Power Apps
Module 9 – Best practices and handling errors
- Optimising flows
- Keep flow configurations generic
- Handling errors
- Lab 09 – Handling errors
Module 10 – Parent and child flows
- Parent / Child flows general principal
- HTTP Method
- Using a Solution
- Lab 10a – Child flows: HTTP action
- Lab 10b – Child flows: solutions
Module 11 – Using the Microsoft Graph API
- Steps to use the Microsoft Graph API
- Lab 11 – Using the Microsoft Graph API
Microsoft 365 learning pathways
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.