This two-day course will provide you with a thorough understanding of the Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) Practitioner level re-registration examination, allowing you to attempt the practitioner re-registration examination thoroughly prepared.
By undertaking this learning and passing the MSP® Practitioner re-registration exam, you will show an application of theory in running a programme. By the end of this learning, you will have the skills to be able to:
- Identify and document the vision of a programme, thus aligning it to the strategic aims of the business
- Coordinate the projects of a programme to ensure the correct application of resources and risk, issue and change management
- Interface the programme with the day to day business to ensure the smooth transition of changes delivered by a programme into business as usual activity
- Ensure that the benefits that the programme was designed to deliver are achieved
You should ideally have experience of managing or working in programmes prior to attending. Knowledge of the PRINCE2® project management method is advantageous but by no means mandatory, but some exposure to a project management method will aid understanding of how the programme works with these projects.
- Candidates must hold the MSP Practitioner Certificate.
- The success on the course will be enhanced by close attention to the pre-reading materials. It is recommended that candidates spend 1- 3 hours working through the pre-reading.
- If you have not received your pre-reading material within one week of the start of your course, please contact your Account Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Additional work will be required in the evening during the course, consisting of consolidation reading, mock examination questions and exercises. This evening work is an integral part of the course and you should expect to spend about 2 hours each evening on these activities.
- Please ensure that you have already obtained a copy of the official AXELOS product 'Managing Successful Programmes' (ISBN: 9780113313273), and that you bring it with you to the course.
Proof of prerequisites MUST be produced on the day of the exam to the trainer.
Acceptable forms of prerequisite confirmation are as follows:
- A copy of the candidates examination certificate
- Confirmed entry in the AXELOS Successful Candidate Register. You will need to provide the full SCR number (registration/candidate number located on your certificate).
Delegates without evidence of the prerequisites will NOT be permitted to sit the exam. For any queries on this please email email@example.com
Proof of identification
If taking an exam, candidates are required to provide Photo ID with a valid signature e.g. driving license, passport or named work ID badges prior to sitting their exam. Failure to produce this ID will result in their exam results being withheld until proof of ID is provided. Please note that if proof is not provided within 40 days, candidate's exam results will be null and void and a re-sit would be required.
Reasonable Adjustments Policy
The exam provider allows additional time for candidates who have a disability or whose native language differs to that of the examination paper. Ful details and how to apply can be found here www.qa.com/axelosexams. At least two weeks' notice will be required for processing this request. Delegates failing to advise QA and provide evidence when requested, may not be allowed the additional support offered via the policy. QA Exam Administration can be contacted by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone +44(0)1793 696162.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the facts, terms and concepts relating to each theme
- Understand how each governance theme relates to the principles
- Understand the approach to the treatment of each governance theme
- Appreciate how each governance theme is applied throughout the transformational flow
- Understand the responsibilities involved in each governance theme
- Apply and tailor the relevant aspects of each governance theme to a given scenario
- Identify, analyse and distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate application of each governance theme in a given scenario
- Application of MSP in an exam environment
MSP philosophy and structure
- What is a programme and how it differs to both business as usual and project work
- Relationship between the MSP principles, governance themes and the transformational flow
The 7 MSP principles
- Remaining aligned with corporate strategy
- Leading change
- Envisioning and communicating a better future
- Focusing on benefits and threats to them
- Adding value
- Designing and delivering a coherent capability
- Learning from experience
The 9 MSP governance themes
- Leadership and stakeholder engagement
- Benefits management
- Blueprint design and delivery
- Planning and control
- Business case
- Risk and issue management
- Quality and assurance management
The 6 MSP® Transformational Flow Processes
- Identifying a programme
- Defining a programme
- Managing the tranche
- Delivering the capability
- Realizing the benefits
- Closing a programme
MSP Re-registration Examination
Everyone will sit the Practitioner Re-registration examination during the course.
PeopleCert exams take place remotely via PeopleCert Online Proctoring, and the afternoon of the last day of your course will continue with your learning until approximately 4.00pm. When booking your exam please ensure that it is for a time after the course has concluded and at a time convenient for you. You will be required to download and install ExamShield and conduct a compatibility test prior to sitting the exam.
The MSP Practitioner Re-registration exam consists of:
- 3 questions, each worth 10 marks each. Total of 30 marks
- 'Objective Test Examination' format - a style of complex multiple-choice examination.
- 1 hour duration
- Delegates may use their official MSP manual: 'Managing Successful Programmes' only
- Candidates require a minimum of 15 marks (50%) to pass
By successfully passing the practitioner re-registration exam, you will maintain your 'Registered Practitioner' status.
MSP® is a [registered] trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
The Swirl logo™ is a trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.