Please note: Due to the current situation with Covid 19 the PeopleCert are offering remotely proctored online exams for all candidates. Once registered by the QA exam administration team you will receive an exam registration email directly from PeopleCert. This email will contain the necessary instruction on how to schedule your exam.
***Please note that due to the current high demand for online exams, there may be limited time slots available. Delegates are invited to contact Peoplecert directly regarding the provision of additional sessions. We would recommend delegates follow this process and re-access the live calendar regularly as Peoplecert will add additional sessions where demand dictates. ***
Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) is the best-practice, proven and internationally accepted approach to the successful delivery of transformational change through the application of programme management.
MSP Practitioner is the second of the three MSP qualifications and is a pre-requisite for anyone wishing to pursue MSP Advanced Practitioner certifications. You are required to have passed MSP Foundation before attempting MSP Practitioner exam and you need to have your own copy of the Official MSP manual (ISBN - 13:9780113313273).
The purpose of the practitioner qualification is to determine whether a delegate has sufficient knowledge and understanding of the MSP guidance to apply the guidance to their own work and, hence, act as an informed member of a programme management team. That is, someone responsible for managing, leading, supporting or advising on work within an MSP environment. Delegates should be capable of applying the MSP guidance in a relatively uncomplicated programme within an environment that uses MSP.
MSP Practitioner is suitable for project managers, BCMs, experts and advisers working within a programme office and other specialist/governance roles involved in supporting programmes following the MSP guidance together with those wishing to pursue higher level qualifications (e.g. programme managers). This level is also suitable for SROs.
You are required to have passed MSP Foundation before attempting MSP Practitioner exam and you need to bring along your copy of the Official MSP manual, 9780113313273.
Proof of prerequisites MUST be produced on the day of the exam to the trainer.
Acceptable forms of prerequisite confirmation are as follows:
- A copy of the candidates examination certificate
- Confirmed entry in the AXELOS Successful Candidate Register. You will need to provide the full SCR number (registration/candidate number located on your certificate).
Delegates without evidence of the prerequisites will NOT be permitted to sit the exam. For any queries on this please email email@example.com
You are advised to check you have the correct technical system requirements to run this eLearning product. The technical requirements are at the following link:
Product registration requires an internet connection and takes only a few minutes to complete.
Accreditation and Examinations
Proof of identification
If taking an exam, candidates are required to provide Photo ID with a valid signature e.g. driving license, passport or named work ID badges prior to sitting their exam. Failure to produce this ID will result in their exam results being withheld until proof of ID is provided. Please note that if proof is not provided within 40 days, candidate's exam results will be null and void and a re-sit would be required.
Reasonable Adjustments Policy
The exam provider allows additional time for candidates who have a disability or whose native language differs to that of the examination paper. Ful details and how to apply can be found here www.qa.com/axelosexams. At least two weeks' notice will be required for processing this request. Delegates failing to advise QA and provide evidence when requested, may not be allowed the additional support offered via the policy. QA Exam Administration can be contacted by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone +44(0)1793 696162.
You must also be familiar with the APMG International Terms and Conditions of Certification which can be found here on the APMG International website.
To book your exam, if within the UK, we have 26 locations across the country. If outside the UK, options for sitting your exam can be found on the following link. Please get back in contact with us via email: email@example.com, where we will find a time and location convenient to you.
The MSP Practitioner exam, conducted at 1pm on the last day, consists of:
- 8 questions, each worth 10 marks each. Total of 80 marks
- 'Objective Test Examination' format - a style of complex multiple-choice examination.
- 2 ½ hours duration
- Candidates may use their official MSP manual only
- Candidates require a minimum of 40 marks (50%) to pass
- By successfully passing the Practitioner exam, delegates attain 'Registered Practitioner' status.
At the end of the course delegates should be able to:
- Identify additional value as a result of managing the described change as an MSP Programme
- Explain and apply each of the MSP principles, the governance themes and the transformational flow processes and their activities
- Explain the relationship between the MSP principles, governance themes, the transformational flow, programme information (documents) and the MSP defined programme management roles
- Produce and evaluate examples of MSP programme information (documents).
- Know facts, terms and concepts relating to each theme
- Understand how each governance theme relates to the Principles
- Understand the approach to the treatment of each governance theme
- Appreciate how each governance theme is applied throughout the Transformational Flow
- Understand the responsibilities involved in each governance theme
- Apply and tailor the relevant aspects of each governance theme to a scenario, when creating or reviewing products or making decisions related to each theme, in any or all of the processes
- Identify, analyse and distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate application of each governance theme throughout a programme scenario.
This fully accredited course provides you with a thorough understanding of the MSP programme management methodology, providing you with the skills needed to confidently use MSP to manage programmes in line with strategic aims of a business and its day to day running. The course includes tutor support, examination practice and your Practitioner exam.
You will be able to test what you have learned and review recorded scores. During this period you will have access to a QA subject matter expert by email.
The performance of a successful MSP Practitioner delegate is that delegates need to exhibit the competences required for the Foundation qualification and show that they can apply the MSP guidance in a relatively uncomplicated programme within a programme environment.
MSP Philosophy and structure
- What is a programme and how it differs to both business as usual and project work
- Relationship between the MSP Principles, Governance Themes and the Transformational Flow.
The 7 MSP Principles
- Remaining aligned with corporate strategy
- Leading change
- Envisioning and communicating a better future
- Focusing on benefits and threats to them
- Adding Value
- Designing and delivering a coherent capability
- Learning from experience
The 9 MSP Governance Themes
- Leadership and stakeholder engagement
- Benefits management
- Blueprint design and delivery
- Planning and control
- The Business case
- Risks and issue management
- Quality and assurance management
The 6 MSP Transformational Flow Processes
- Identifying a programme
- Defining a programme
- Managing the tranche
- Delivering the capability
- Realizing the benefits
- Closing a programme
MSP Practitioner Exam:
Viewing the MSP Practitioner eLearning product and attempting all the exercises that we recommend will take approximately 15 hours with some additional reading. Throughout the learning, references for recommended reading are provided, and as everyone learns at different paces, this study duration is guidance only - but that is not to say you can't do it as many times as you like within your twelve month period.
MSP® is a [registered] trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
The Swirl logo™ is a trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.