This five-day course will provide you with a thorough understanding of the internationally recognised and best practice programme management methodology Managing Successful Programmes (MSP), providing the skills you need to confidently use MSP to manage programmes in line with strategic aims of a business and its day to day running.
By the end of this course, you will have the skills to be able to identify and document the vision of a programme, thus aligning it to the strategic aims of the business. You will also be able to coordinate the projects of a programme to ensure the correct application of resources and risk, issue and change management. You will also be able to interface with the day to day business to ensure the smooth transition of changes delivered by a programme into business as usual activity and ensure that the benefits that the programme is designed to deliver are achieved.
You should ideally have experience of managing or working in programmes prior to attending. Knowledge of the PRINCE2® project management method is advantageous but by no means mandatory, but some exposure to a project management method will aid understanding of how the programme works with these projects.
- The success on the course will be enhanced by close attention to the pre-reading materials. It is recommended that candidates spend 1- 3 hours working through the pre-reading.
- If you have not received your pre-reading material within one week of the start of your course, please contact your Account Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Additional work will be required in the evening during the course, consisting of consolidation reading, mock examination questions and exercises. This evening work is an integral part of the course and you should expect to spend about 2 hours each evening on these activities.
- You will be presented with the official MSP manual: 'Managing Successful Programmes' on the first day of your course.
Proof of identification
If taking an exam, candidates are required to provide Photo ID with a valid signature e.g. driving license, passport or named work ID badges prior to sitting their exam. Failure to produce this ID will result in their exam results being withheld until proof of ID is provided. Please note that if proof is not provided within 40 days, candidate's exam results will be null and void and a re-sit would be required.
Reasonable Adjustments Policy
The exam provider allows additional time for candidates who have a disability or whose native language differs to that of the examination paper. Full details and how to apply can be found here www.qa.com/axelosexams. At least two weeks' notice will be required for processing this request. Delegates failing to advise QA and provide evidence when requested, may not be allowed the additional support offered via the policy. QA Exam Administration can be contacted by email email@example.com or by phone +44(0)1793 696162.
Please ensure you bring a device such as a mobile phone, tablet or laptop to be able to load your course material on to as you may need this for use in the evenings.
Delegates will learn how to
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the facts, terms and concepts relating to each theme
- Understand how each governance theme relates to the principles
- Understand the approach to the treatment of each governance theme
- Appreciate how each governance theme is applied throughout the transformational flow
- Understand the responsibilities involved in each governance theme
- Apply and tailor the relevant aspects of each governance theme to a given scenario
- Identify, analyse and distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate application of each governance theme in a given scenario
- Application of MSP in an exam environment
MSP philosophy and structure
What is a programme and how it differs to both business as usual and project work
Relationship between the MSP principles, governance themes and the transformational flow.
The 7 MSP principles
- Remaining aligned with corporate strategy
- Leading change
- Envisioning and communicating a better future
- Focusing on benefits and threats to them
- Adding value
- Designing and delivering a coherent capability
- Learning from experience
The 9 MSP governance themes
- Leadership and stakeholder engagement
- Benefits management
- Blueprint design and delivery
- Planning and control
- Business case
- Risk and issue management
- Quality and assurance management
The 6 MSP® Transformational Flow Processes
- Identifying a programme
- Defining a programme
- Managing the tranche
- Delivering the capability
- Realizing the benefits
- Closing a programme
MSP Foundation and Practitioner Examinations
Everyone will sit the MSP foundation and practitioner examination during the course.
You must bring signed photo ID with you for any exam (passport, driving licence, student card).
The foundation exam consists of:
- 75 multiple choice questions
- 1 hour
- Candidates require a minimum of 35 correct answers (50%) to pass.
The MSP Practitioner exam consists of:
- 8 questions, each worth 10 marks each. Total of 80 marks
- 'Objective Test Examination' format - a style of complex multiple-choice examination.
- 2½ hours duration
- Delegates may use their official MSP manual: 'Managing Successful Programmes' only
- Candidates require a minimum of 40 marks (50%) to pass
Please note that you must pass the foundation exam before attempting the practitioner exam and by successfully passing the practitioner exam, you attain 'Registered Practitioner' status.
MSP® is a [registered] trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
The Swirl logo™ is a trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.