Junos Enterprise Switching is a two-day course that provides students with introductory switching knowledge and configuration examples. This course includes an overview of switching concepts and operations, virtual LANs (VLANs), the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP), port and device security features, and high availability (HA) features.
Through demonstrations and hands-on labs, students will gain experience in configuring and monitoring the Junos OS and in monitoring device operations.
Students should have basic networking knowledge and an understanding of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) reference model and the TCP/IP protocol suite.
Students should also attend the 'Introduction to the Junos Operating System' (IJOS) and the 'Junos Routing Essentials' (JRE) courses prior to attending this
This course benefits individuals responsible for configuring and monitoring EX Series switches.
Delegates will learn how to
- List the benefits of implementing switched LANs.
- Describe transparent bridging concepts and operations.
- Describe terms and design considerations for switched LANs.
- List enterprise platforms that support Layer 2 switching.
- Configure interfaces for Layer 2 switching operations.
- Display and interpret the Ethernet switching table.
- Explain the concept of a VLAN.
- Describe access and trunk port modes.
- Configure and monitor VLANs.
- Describe voice VLAN and native VLAN concepts.
- Explain inter-VLAN routing operations.
- Configure and monitor inter-VLAN routing.
- Explain when a spanning tree is required.
- Describe STP and Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP) operations.
- List some advantages of using RSTP over STP.
- Configure and monitor RSTP.
- Describe the bridge protocol data unit (BPDU), Loop, and Root protection features.
- Configure and monitor the BPDU, Loop, and Root protection features.
- List and describe various port security features.
- Configure and monitor port security features.
- Describe the storm control feature.
- Configure and monitor storm control.
- Describe firewall filter support for EX Series Ethernet Switches.
- Implement and monitor the effects of a firewall filter.
- List and describe some features that promote high availability.
- Configure and monitor high availability features.
- Describe the basic concepts and operational details of a virtual chassis.
- Implement a virtual chassis with multiple EX4200 switches.
Chapter 1: Course Introduction
Chapter 2: Layer 2 Switching
- Ethernet Bridging Basics
- Terminology and Design Considerations
- Overview of Enterprise Switching Platforms
- Enabling and Monitoring Layer 2 Switching Operations
- Lab 1: Implementing Layer 2 Switching
Chapter 3: Virtual Networks
- Overview of VLANs
- Configuring and Monitoring VLANs
- Voice VLAN
- Native VLAN
- Routed VLAN Interfaces
- Lab 2: Implementing Virtual Networks
Chapter 4: Spanning Tree
- Spanning Tree Protocol
- Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol
- Configuring and Monitoring STP and RSTP
- Protection Features: BPDU Protection
- Protection Features: Loop Protection
- Protection Features: Root Protection
- Lab 3: Implementing Spanning Tree
Chapter 5: Port Security
- MAC Limiting
- DHCP Snooping
- Dynamic ARP Inspection (DAI)
- IP Source Guard
- Lab 4: Implementing Port Security
Chapter 6: Device Security and Firewall Filters
- Storm Control
- Firewall Filters
- Lab 5: Implementing Storm Control and Firewall Filters
Chapter 7: High Availability
- Overview of High Availability Networks
- Link Aggregation Groups
- Redundant Trunk Groups
- Lab 6: Configuring LAGs and RTG
- Overview of Virtual Chassis
- Configuring and Monitoring a Virtual Chassis
- Lab 7: Implementing a Virtual Chassis System
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.